Changing From Beaded Liner To Overlap

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I need to replace my liner. Looking around, overlap liners are more readily available and considerably cheaper than beaded. I did some research. I think that if I were to buy an overlap, then I would need to take the rail seats and top rails off, and then install the liner directly over the wall, then put those parts back. Is that correct? Of course this will make the pool wall much more flimsy than it is now with those parts in place, so I'd have to have a way to support the wall while I'm installing the liner. Is this something that is worth doing? I'm also thinking that the next time I replaced the liner if it were an overlap all those parts would have to come off.

thanks

Calling of a couple of folks to help, since I just put up my first permanent pool (with beaded liner). But yes, you would have to take the top rails off. Maybe hold wall in place with a few lines down to ground? Or rent out a bunch of neighbors for a bit?

@Casey @kimkats

You are on the right track and good job on thinking ahead of the danger of doing it. What I would do is see if there are any you tubes on it. Watch a couple/few and pick the ont that loooks like it will work best and go from there!

You've got it. You'll just need enough overlap "coping strip" for the circumference of the pool. It will replace the bead receiver and hold the overlap in place. The lengths it comes in are unimportant they don't need to match the distance between the posts, and basically any generic coping strip should work.

For the wall — when my pool was first put up, my installer put a bunch of those metal posts like that you’d attach fence wire to around the perimeter of the pool. Then they ran a strip of duck tape from the top of the pool wall to there, to keep it upright.

You'll need coping strips and stabilizer bars to go with an overlapping liner.

@Casey Surely beaded liner pools have stabilizer bars already, no? or are they a different size? Never had one myself.
I am not sure as I've never used a beaded liner with bead receiver. I've only used j-hook liners with stabilizer bars.

Reactions: hwy17

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They will be needed, yes. My assumption is a beaded liner pool already has them though, so OP only needs to buy coping strip.
Overlap liners need coping strips. Most pools purchased online are shipped with coping strips. :cool: :thumleft: I usually threw mine away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.