LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Selma, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What are the steps to change a cartridge filter on a pool already running. I used an old (clean) filter for start up and slamming but would like to change it and put in a new filter. I can’t remember the steps to change the filter. I think it goes like this: First turn off system, then close the ball valve on the pump. Then open air release screw on top of lid of filter cartridge tank and open drain on bottom of filter cartridge tank and let water drain out then close drain plug. Then open lid of filter cartridge tank and pull out filter. Put in new filter, put on filter cartridge tank lid, open ball valve to let water back in filter cartridge tank, turn on system, bleed/open air release screw till water squirts out then close. Reprime if necessary by opening pump basket lid then close when full, rebleed air release screw.
Did I miss anything, are steps correct and do I have to drain the water out of the filter cartridge tank???

Reactions: Sassy68 and AK-
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that lid cover is REALLY hard to turn. Hoping 🙏 I can get it back off and on again. Where would the pool lube go? There seems to be two pieces to the tank lid (an inner lid and outer ring). Do they come apart? Is there an o-ring that goes between them? I couldn’t see one. I did put Teflon tape on the threads hoping that would help. Now I am hoping that was not a mistake🤔 My fear is having the lid explode!!!!

I didn't think it was necessary to drain the cartridge filter? Typically when I turn the pump off and let the air out, it starts to drain automatically, there's a little water remaining at the bottom. My pump and filter are in the shed so draining the filter into the shed is not an option for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.