CH Test - reagents not mixing

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
I figured this would best be a separate thread than my FC thread.

Both times today that I've tried totes my CH, the reagents have failed to mix properly with the water. The colored reagents, as shown, are "clotting" in the water. This doesn't seem to be normal behavior and I'm starting to think my Taylor kit contains bad chemicals. Any thoughts?V1%s6+eUSwyz5dVmuDar6g.jpg

As Marty said, I’d look at metals......

That's typically caused by your CH being too high or excess magnesium. When the dye interacts with the divalent metal ions, it can clump. A SpeedStir helps a lot but it will happen when the CH is too high.

You can try this -

Add roughly 5-10 drops of R-0012 before anything else.
Add the required amount of R-0010 (10 drops for a 10mL sample or 20 drops for a 25mL sample)
Add the R-0011L dye
Titrate as usual with the R-0012

Total drop count is the number of drops added in the beginning plus the number of drops used to go from pink/magenta to blue.

You can also dilute your pool water sample with an equivalent amount of distilled water (you can buy distilled in the supermarket). By diluting the sample, you cut the concentration of all chemicals species in half. Just remember to multiply your answer by 2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.