Certain pool type recommended for different environments?

GrandizerGo

Jun 21, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
I'm new here and looking to purchase a pool. I'm outside of Toronto, Ontario. I keep going back and forth on the type of pool to get (fiberglass or concrete with liner). One installer commented that with the ground in this area being clay and us being near a storm management pond that there will be drainage issues and a fiberglass pool is bound to pop up. Is this the case? Are different pool types recommended for certain ground/environmental conditions?

Welcome to the forum!
There are a number of considerations when selecting a pool type. In your environment, with proper installation procedures, any type of pool can be installed. It is true that if you drain a fiberglass pool too far and have a high water table, then it can pop out of the ground. But a liner can also float under the same conditions and be ruined. Proper ground water management is imperative.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I would avoid a liner if ground water is an issue, unless the pool builder installs some sort of drainage plan around the pool. You mentioned a cement frame with liner, so I'm not sure if that negates the problem?

Water weight in a fiberglass pool keeps it from floating up.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.