CC question

Jun 15, 2018
Cherry Hill, NJ
20180615_140054.jpg
Hi can you guys tell me if my pool is swimable right now? Kids are itching to get in. Pool is super clear.
I had to replace multiport switch so I couldn't run the pool for about 36 hours which through everything off. Person at my local store told me it's safe, don't know??

Welcome to TFP :handwave:

Hi can you guess tell me if my pool is swimable right now? Kids are itching to get in. Poll is super clear.
I had to replace multiport switch so I couldn't run the pool for about 36 hours which through everything off

Well, being that those are pool store test results-what did they say about swimming?

We don't actually abide by pool store results. They're often quite inaccurate. I question a few of yours in fact. We believe in pool owner testing with a *trusted* kit only. No one cares about your water quality more than you so you'll make the effort to do it correctly.

While your pool looks clear and pretty, it may be harboring some cooties based on your CCs.

If your CYA is correct...and I hightly doubt that....that's more FC than needed, but maybe it will help burn off *some* of those CCs.

And the water may be damaging your pool surface and equipment based on the pH and CH level. But since I don't know anything about YOUR pool surface so may be wrong.

Please consider reading Pool School, starting with --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Please also consider getting your own test kit and staying out of the pool store like we do. Check these kits out: tftestkits.net

Tell us about your pool, and equipment. How about a pic of the pool?? We love us some pics.

Don't buy any Phosphate remover.. if your pool has enough FC, there would be no algae to eat phosphates. Gimmick potion.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome! :wave:

If I trusted pool store testing, I'd say, "Almost." The pH is too high. It might irritate eyes and skin.

The high CC worries me a bit, but you've got a goodly amount of FC in there, so it and sunlight ought to deplete that.

The three basic rules are
1) Adequate FC for the CYA -- check
2) pH between 7.2 and 7.8 -- needs acid
3) Clear enough to see the bottom in case there's a swimmer on the floor. check

Dumpo some acid in, then go change the kids and slather 'em with sunscreen, and by then it'll be okay. I'll bet your water is clearer and more sanitary than any water slide park that's open today.

20180615_143006.jpg
20180615_143006.jpg
Our pool was great last week. I realized we were missing and lost about 5 inches of water from the pool. I noticed it leaking from the backwash hose. I've been Googled and figured out it was the multi-port valve. They replaced it. In the meantime the pool was shut off for a day and a half. I went in to check and test a sample yesterday. The woman told me that I needed to add shock. So I added liquid shock which may be the reason the FC is high. I just added a little bit of PH decreaser in. About 3 lb. After this sample and test today the woman told me the chlorine is a little high but she thinks we could swim in it. I have two kids so I was a little nervous to give them the green light.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I'm a long-time lurker in the form I just never registered. I'm happy to be here. And thank you for the reply so quickly. I'm a little confused with the pool calculator and some of the other things. I do get where you get the CC number from. I went to at home recreation. In New Jersey it's a very reputable Pool Store.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a follow-up question, I turned off the chlorinator. The pool is still running with the filter but I'm letting the Sun do it's work. Was this wise?

What do you use normally to chlorinate??

When ever your pump is out of commission you can use simple plain household bleach (no scents, thickeners or Cloramax) to use to put FC in, then brush it around to circulate.

I see your pool is vinyl, so you don't need to add calcium. <whew!>

Use Muriatic Acid for that pH. Dry acid is not good for most pools or equipment as it leaves sulphates behind.

Otherwise looks great and I'd jump in today.

You still need to get your own test kit though :)

I have a salt generator

- - - Updated - - -

Hi-def definitely want a good test kit. Can I have a recommendation? It's a salt pool.

And I don't mean to ever ad calcium to the pool? If I have vinyl? Every time I test at the store they tell me I need it.

And I remember reading about phosphates on here so I didn't buy into their gimmick. The last two test they told me that I need to buy the room over and it my pool will become cloudy. I just Shrugged and walked away

I have a salt generator

Ok, don't use dry acid (anymore). And follow this guide for recommended levels: Pool School - Recommended Levels
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see a heater on your equipment pad so I'm gonna say nope to any added calcium. Plaster pools need it, fiberglass pools probably need it but vinyl does not.

The TF-100 test kit is my fave, but the K-2006C is also good. No others do we endorse. Look at them here: TFTestkits.net

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.