Cartridge or sand filter???

loomer

Jun 3, 2016
Marlton/NJ
I have only been in this house now for two years, and have used an old 25" sand filter these past two swim seasons. The sand filter has completely gone south, and I need a new filter, and am considering getting a 200 sq ft cartridge filter. The reason for the change, is because there is no easy way to backwash a sand filter with my setup. I had been running a backwash hose to the back of our yard which actually worked out OK, but our neighbors in the back complained that it was flooding part of their yard. So the appeal of the cartridge filter is being able to take out the filter, and cleaning it off instead of backwashing. My concern though, is what I'd do about vacuuming? We do not have a robot, and I can not afford to purchase one this summer.

So my question is, can you vacuum to a cartridge filter, the same way you would a sand filter? I realize that I am going to have to install a 3 way diverter valve, so I can remove water from the pool if needed, in case there is a huge downpour and the pool begins quickly filling up. There is no overflow drain in the pool. I'll have to run a LONG backwash hose to the front of my house in these situations. I can't keep it permanently set up that way, because it will be going across my lawn, but for once in awhile emergencies, I can deal. I just do not really want to have to do this, if the only way I can vacuum with a cartridge filter is by vacuuming to waste. There are a few trees close by, so vacuuming is a fairly frequent thing with the pollen and dust that gets into the pool.

Thank you for the help!

Our situations are almost identical. But yes, you basically vacuum into the cartridge filter and rinse it clean once it's full. If you install a 3-way valve after the pump and before the filter, you are set! Then you can essentially pump to waste like sand owners when you need to in rare situations. Happy owner - happy neighbors. :)

I have only been in this house now for two years, and have used an old 25" sand filter these past two swim seasons. The sand filter has completely gone south, and I need a new filter, and am considering getting a 200 sq ft cartridge filter. The reason for the change, is because there is no easy way to backwash a sand filter with my setup. I had been running a backwash hose to the back of our yard which actually worked out OK, but our neighbors in the back complained that it was flooding part of their yard. So the appeal of the cartridge filter is being able to take out the filter, and cleaning it off instead of backwashing. My concern though, is what I'd do about vacuuming? We do not have a robot, and I can not afford to purchase one this summer.

So my question is, can you vacuum to a cartridge filter, the same way you would a sand filter? I realize that I am going to have to install a 3 way diverter valve, so I can remove water from the pool if needed, in case there is a huge downpour and the pool begins quickly filling up. There is no overflow drain in the pool. I'll have to run a LONG backwash hose to the front of my house in these situations. I can't keep it permanently set up that way, because it will be going across my lawn, but for once in awhile emergencies, I can deal. I just do not really want to have to do this, if the only way I can vacuum with a cartridge filter is by vacuuming to waste. There are a few trees close by, so vacuuming is a fairly frequent thing with the pollen and dust that gets into the pool.

Thank you for the help!
Of course you can vacuum to filter. The filter doesn't know whether the stuff floated into the skimmer and got pulled down the pipe or if it got sucked through a vacuum. It'll filter it out either way.

And if you're replumbing, yes, install a Tee somewhere between pump and filter. Personally, I'd then install a reducer and some threads and screw a hose bib in. Then you can connect garden hoses together when you need to drain some water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.