moomoo

Jul 29, 2023
lubbock, texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
similar situation....at the point of needing to decide on a filter as decking is going in this week or early next. Planning on a Jandy 2.7 VS and Jandy 460 cartridge filter. Not sure if it is worth the extra $500 to get the 580. We are on a well, going with salt, and don't really want to backwash into our yard, or the alley(illegal for us and most I'm sure, but others do it)
Have calculated (@ an 8hr turn): 27.1gpm; .058gpm/sqft(# seems low?). Am I oversized enough, just right, and/or is the 580 worth it? Gracias for any insight folks

Either the 460 or 580 will be sufficient. The larger one will just extend the time between cleaning. You will not backwash a cartridge filter - it requires disassembly, removing the cartridge (s), cleaning and reassembly. Do your neighbors have a DE or sand filter? Those can be backwashed.
Do you predict a lot of debris in your pool? Right now, down in Houston area, the trees are losing all their leaves and my pool is full (thanks to neighbors trees). So if you have a lot of debris, spend the extra money now to go larger on the filter.
Where in TX are you?
If you are going with a SWCG system then you may wish to run longer than 8 hrs a day to produce sufficient chlorine and run your VS pump at a low speed. That works out best to produce a little chlorine all day long in Texas heat (not sure where you live).

Reactions: Mdragger88
Either the 460 or 580 will be sufficient. The larger one will just extend the time between cleaning. You will not backwash a cartridge filter - it requires disassembly, removing the cartridge (s), cleaning and reassembly. Do your neighbors have a DE or sand filter? Those can be backwashed.
Do you predict a lot of debris in your pool? Right now, down in Houston area, the trees are losing all their leaves and my pool is full (thanks to neighbors trees). So if you have a lot of debris, spend the extra money now to go larger on the filter.
Where in TX are you?
If you are going with a SWCG system then you may wish to run longer than 8 hrs a day to produce sufficient chlorine and run your VS pump at a low speed. That works out best to produce a little chlorine all day long in Texas heat (not sure where you live).
We are in Lubbock. Lots of wind, so lots of dirt and debris from the fields around the area. The summers can get toasty and the winters quite cold. The jacuzzi and heater will let us use it year-round (mostly the jacuzzi!). Most people here have sand, but I don't want to backwash for the aforementioned reasons, and also to reduce the time/resources having to re-adjust pH levels after a backwash. If it were a couple hundred dollar difference, then probably a no-brainer, but being such a small pool volume, just wasn't sure if the 460 was already in the "over-size" territory. Appreciate the feedback!

We are in Lubbock. Lots of wind, so lots of dirt and debris from the fields around the area. The summers can get toasty and the winters quite cold. The jacuzzi and heater will let us use it year-round (mostly the jacuzzi!). Most people here have sand, but I don't want to backwash for the aforementioned reasons, and also to reduce the time/resources having to re-adjust pH levels after a backwash. If it were a couple hundred dollar difference, then probably a no-brainer, but being such a small pool volume, just wasn't sure if the 460 was already in the "over-size" territory. Appreciate the feedback!
Oversized is not a word used with regard to filters. Undersized? Yes. That 460 will make you very happy. As has been said, the size merely indicates how much dirt the filter will hold before needing to be cleaned. Use that VSP the right way (long, slow filtration, well over 8 hours, turnover is a myth) to get all the chlorine you may need from your (properly sized) SWG, if you have one. Or, if not, you will enjoy the way the water sparkles after being "polished" by those long, slow runs. You may only clean the filter once a year and it will be easier to clean as the dirt will not be embedded into the fabric, but just sit on top. Makes the cartridges last longer as well. Been doing it that way with my 420 Pentair for years, and my yard is a terrible one for pools, though pretty otherwise.

Oversized is not a word used with regard to filters. Undersized? Yes. That 460 will make you very happy. As has been said, the size merely indicates how much dirt the filter will hold before needing to be cleaned. Use that VSP the right way (long, slow filtration, well over 8 hours, turnover is a myth) to get all the chlorine you may need from your (properly sized) SWG, if you have one. Or, if not, you will enjoy the way the water sparkles after being "polished" by those long, slow runs. You may only clean the filter once a year and it will be easier to clean as the dirt will not be embedded into the fabric, but just sit on top. Makes the cartridges last longer as well. Been doing it that way with my 420 Pentair for years, and my yard is a terrible one for pools, though pretty otherwise.
appreciate the input! Any suggestions for the size and a model/brand for an SWG?

appreciate the input! Any suggestions for the size and a model/brand for an SWG?
With about 15,000 gallons in your pool setup, you want one that is able to handle at least 30,000. That way you can turn the production down by 50% and the cell will last longer than running it at 100%. Get one rated for 40K or more for even longer cell life. Many here like the Circupool brand. Sometimes they have a sale where the next larger size is only $100.00 or so more than the one you want.
Do you have automation? Even with it you can use a brand other than the automation, you just don't have as much control (that most don't need/use anyway after the newness wears off).

With about 15,000 gallons in your pool setup, you want one that is able to handle at least 30,000. That way you can turn the production down by 50% and the cell will last longer than running it at 100%. Get one rated for 40K or more for even longer cell life. Many here like the Circupool brand. Sometimes they have a sale where the next larger size is only $100.00 or so more than the one you want.
Do you have automation? Even with it you can use a brand other than the automation, you just don't have as much control (that most don't need/use anyway after the newness wears off).
automation??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.