Cartridge Filter Schooling Requested

jkayca

Jul 5, 2014
Ottawa Ontario
So my 12 year old sand filter is shedding sand into the pool. I can't get replacement parts for it and frankly at 12 years old it is probably time to replace it. So I was thinking of switching to a cartridge system.

My PB is telling me you never need to backwash these and just replace the cartridges every 4 - 6 years or so. Is he correct? I can't imagine after a spring opening that the cartridges won't need some kind of cleaning.

Also, are they worth it? Having to replace cartridges sounds expensive and the filter unit themselves seem more expensive.

Comments?

Hey JK !!!

Cartridges should last about 10 years when properly cared for. I put mine in fresh and used to clean the spring gunk out. Then shortly after was pollen season so I would hose them off a month later. Mid season I would hose them just to sleep better but they never actually needed that one. At the end of the season I would do a TSP bath and then MA bath and I was ready for the spring.

The key is to go huge. It’s always the case no matter which style filter you choose. The sizing charts account for how much filtration your pool water needs but they don’t account for your local environment dumping crud in. So that big oak tree next door will overwhelm a ‘properly sized filter’ and require you to clean it more often even though the pool itself wouldn’t have made it require a cleaning.

J,

I have a large cartridge filter and so far have 7 years on the cartridges. I fully expect to get 10 or more years out of them..

You have to open the filter and clean the cartridges at least once a year.. I assume that you close your pool in the winter.. If so, then when you shut down for the winter is when I'd do it.

My pool does not close and I clean mine twice a year. The more junk that falls into your pool the more often you would have to clean them.

I am a big fan of cartridge filters..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have had my pentair clean and clear plus for 8 years.. I have 2 sets of filters and switch them on a yearly basis to clean them and put the old set in and turn it back on.. 15,000 gallons and my pressure only goes up about 2 psi in the year.. I do close in the winter so 10 months a year.. :)

Reactions: Newdude
I don't have a lot of trees nearby so not a lot for it to filter. What size of cartridge filter do you recommend getting as a replacement?
With about 17k gallons anything in the 300 sq ft range would be good without much environmental debris. It only costs a little more to get into the 400s if you want to guarantee it will handle anything including freak storms that may occasionally pop up. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I currently have a 24 " Hayward sand filter - S244T. Specs are here: ProSeries | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products

It has done a good job so far in keeping my pool clean. I don't have a lot of trees nearby so not a lot for it to filter. What size of cartridge filter do you recommend getting as a replacement?

Thanks,

A Clean and Clear plus 320 would probably work great for you, or any of the 300 sq ft cart filters... How many months is your pool open?

a 300 anything is oversized and perfect for you.. You would probably get away with a 200 but it may be cutting it close depending on how much debris you get during the 6 months??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just talked to my PB. Actually this guy didn't build the pool. I'll just call him PG for pool guy. He's going to get me a quote in a new cartridge filter. He says he always includes the installation a 3-way valve. Going to be a bit of shock to the wallet though.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

You may get away with the 150 sq ft cart and if you did not make it you would only have to clean it once :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.