Cartridge filter pressure shot up quickly

Avitron

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Woodbury, MN
Hi friends,
Looking for some insight from the experts.
Opened the pool on 4/30, no issues since, Opening filter pressure at 10psi. I cleaned the filters with proteam filter magic (2 bottles diluted in water) right before opening. good water balance. Live in twin cities, right around this time we get a TON of cotton wood floating into the pool and getting by the skimmer baskets and the pump baskets and into the filters. Used the pool Sunday, no issues. Today, noticed there was no flow to the heater, poor circulation and filter pressure rose from 10 to 15 in a matter of days. Took out the filters and this is what I saw:
1593127266543.jpeg
free chlorine dropped from 7.5 to 3 in 5 days (usually lose 1-2ppm per week with SWCG at 10%, CC 0.5, pH 7.4, rest of numbers OK. Deep end looked ever so slightly cloudy but hard to say.
Replaced filters with backup set, pressure back down to 10 and all was find with circulation. Added 2 bottles 10% bleach, repeat testing later in the day: FC 11, CC 0.5, salinity 3400 using Taylor kit.

i’m not sure how old these filters are, Because we moved into the house 3 years ago and the filters were there. probably 4-5 years or longer If I had to guess. Last year, I had to swap out the filters half way through the pool season. This year the swap happened a bit earlier than expected. My question is, is this normal due to high cotton wood/other organic load, and I just have to be more diligent about cleaning the filters, or is it time to get new filters? Any input appreciated.

The one thing that plugs up filters is suntan lotion, hair products, etc. Not sure what your 'filter magic' was but I use TSP in a large trash can to soak my filters each year. Otherwise, the filters themselves will last a very long time unless the filter media gets torn or the end caps disintegrate.

My filters are now on their 6th year. They filter 365 days a year.

A,

I agree with Marty... I expect to get 10 years out of my cartridges..

I also use hairnets in my Skimmers, which keeps most stuff out of my filters.

If this were my pool I'd want to run an OCLT just to make sure I did not have an algae bloom.. Just because your water is not green, does not mean you don't have an algae bloom.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you, gentlemen. I did the OCLT and passed. We have been using the pool a lot more this year due to the quarantine,. so perhaps it is just a large bather load with more suntan lotion etc, plus that dang cottonwood.

Regarding the TSP cleaner, I found some phosphate-free TSP from sunnyside at my local Menard’s, but I can’t find straight up TSP. Will this be OK for cleaning the filters? many thanks.
I would presume. I use plain TSP. You can use automatic dishwasher detergent (plain powdered stuff) too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.