Cartridge Filter for 40 x 20 sq ft pool?

Cowabunga9

Jul 20, 2021
Massachusetts
I have a 40 x 20 sq ft inground pool. I would like to replace my DE Filter with a cartridge filter. I've heard good things about the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, but it looks like the largest they offer is 520 sq ft. Does anyone have any alternatives they'd reccomend? Thanks!

Why do you think the C&C 520 is not adequate for your pool?

Hey Cowabunga and Welcome !!! 520 is huge. I had 500s (pentair S8M500) on my 20X40 and we moved so I replaced it for the familiarity. I liked the indestructible design better, but the clean and clear is amazing too.

Jandy has a 580 sq ft, I believe, but you would never know or see the 11% cleaning longevity difference in the real world.

Thanks for the replies!

I had a misunderstanding on the sq ft rating of the filter, thinking it was apples-to-apples with the sq ft of the pool (in my case, 800 sq ft).

Would I be able to get away with a 420 instead of the 520? I'd prefer to go that route.

If you have light to medium debris falling, 420 would probably be plenty. I lived in a heavily oak treed property and the droppings overwhelmed even my 500s. The worst that happens is you have to clean them more frequently. I started clean and then cleaned them again a month and a half later when the pollen was done. I was good for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the replies!

I had a misunderstanding on the sq ft rating of the filter, thinking it was apples-to-apples with the sq ft of the pool (in my case, 800 sq ft).

Would I be able to get away with a 420 instead of the 520? I'd prefer to go that route.
I have around 28000 gallons and have a Hayward 4030 which is 425 and more then enough. We get a ton of pollen on the spring and although the filters get yellow pressure may go up 1 PSI. I like the Hayward and bought it off amazon

If you have light to medium debris falling, 420 would probably be plenty. I lived in a heavily oak treed property and the droppings overwhelmed even my 500s. The worst that happens is you have to clean them more frequently. I started clean and then cleaned them again a month and a half later when the pollen was done. I was good for the rest of the season.
Same in Atlanta once spring is done I am good for a long time

Question is volume, not area. How many gallons is your pool?

Any size filter will work. The larger the filter the less often you will need to clean it. If anything it is the quantity of debris the pool gets not the volume or area.

And a large filter will handle an algae problem better than a small filter.

Get the largest filter you can.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.