Capped pipe in patio -- Pool with overflow spa.

Aug 6, 2018
Clearwater, FL
Hello.

I have been in my house about 8 months now and finally have the pool figured out, the spa heating and working perfectly, and a great understanding of just about all the plumbing.

The one remaining PVC pipe that I am still unsure of is not next to the rest of the plumbing at all. Instead it is in the corner of the patio, sticks up, and is just capped to nothing. Below is a picture of the pipe as well as one of the pool. You can't see the pipe in the second picture but it is in the left corner next to the beach ball.

Is there any way I can test or do anything to see what this is?

Could it be the air inlet for your spa? I have one, but it is not capped. When we use the spa that is were the air is pulled in .

"It could be" would probably be my response to anything you might have suggested. Is there any way to test it and confirm? Is this where an air blower would go if we decided to go that route?

Would sticking a leaf blower above it while everything is running be the best way to test it? If that's not what it is any I tried it, could there be any downside?

When you run your spa in 'spa mode', does the spa have air bubbles? Can you take the cap off the pipe? You should not have to put your leaf blower on it, if it is the air inlet it will pull the air in. Ours gives our spa more than enough bubbles.

It looks like that triangular section was cut/chipped out? Maybe an existing drain that someone intended to replace after repouring cement. Does the deck slope in that direction? Is there an outlet to the street side? Just guessing here...

Cool, this took of nicely with some ideas which is great.

When in spa mode there are no bubbles. If I block one of the 4 jets in the spa it does create bubbles in the other 3, but that is the only time bubbles will show up in the spa.

I don't have a well, it's not facing the street, and it does slope that way but not much at all. The triangle is cut out and I'm guessing this pipe is why, but it really only makes sense to me that it's pool related.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I certainly was surprised when trying. The cap does not come off.
As you live in Florida the ideas the others had would make sense. But you should be able to get into the pipe.

If you have a spa there needs to be an air inlet. Sometimes it is right at the spa.

It might be a suction limiting vent. Those are mostly used in Florida. Possibly someone capped it if it was causing suction problems.

It might be a well point to control ground water when the pool is drained.

Any other state, I would say definitely well point.

Since you're in Florida, I say 50% chance it's a suction limiting vent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.