Can't quite clear pool.

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Hi,

I've had my pool for 11 years now, and I've been using the TFP protocols the entire time. I've never had a problem like this.

I opened my pool at the end of May, no issues. The weather has been so rainy and cool I never got in it during the month of June. The problem started last Tuesday. We had torrential rains all day and night - a real gully washer. As of Wed. morning, our pool looked like a cement pond - lots of dirt and mulch had washed into the pool. Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I could be home during the day to really start the clean up process. Until Friday afternoon, I was able to run our vacuum in the late afternoon, and run the pump to start filtering and backwashed it once a day until this Saturday. I also poured in enough bleach to bring it up to shock level on Thursday, but didn't keep at it since I wasn't able to be there to backwash as needed. Finally, on Saturday, I really got to work cleaning things up. Vacuuming, backwashing and adding new DE, adding chlorine. I'll admit it wasn't until Sunday that I started to keep the chlorine at shock level by testing (using the high chlorine level testing supplies) every hour or two. I did not run the pump all night because until today, I've been backwashing several times a day and didn't want to chance the pressure rising too high overnight. At this point, I haven't backwashed in over 24 hours, and my vacuum isn't picking up much debris anymore. However, the water will just not get past the light green cloudy color pictured below. I've added at least 8 gallons of 10% bleach over the past two days. Each time I'm testing the chlorine level is dropping between 5 - 7 ppm every hour to hour and a half. Clearly the chlorine is being used up, but I'm not seeing a difference in the water.

Is there something else I should be doing? Should I add more chlorine than the shock level? I used pool math to determine my shock level, base on my
CYA level. I realize that I since I couldn't clean it up right away, a lot of algae probably grew, but once the dirt and mulch was cleaned out, I expected the water to clear up a lot faster.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kelley

pool july 4.jpeg

Is there something else I should be doing?
I think consistency sums it up best. You've had issues that took you away from the pool and that certainly slowed you down. But if you can maintain that proper SLAM level while doing everything on the SLAM Process page, you'll get there.

I also just looked at my pool math set up and realized my CYA level was set too low. My real SLAM level is 4 ppm higher than I've been using. So, I'm not surprised I'm having issues. And wasting expensive chlorine....

Thanks for the support.

Kelley

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.