Can’t Live With/Without?

Hi everyone. I have a home in NV, where I currently live, and a home in NC which I hope to retire to one day. I would like to build an outdoor pool in NC. I am wondering if you had to do it all over, what are some things you would do differently? What items do you wish you had installed? And what items are a pain or of little use? I love the concept of a SWG but I cannot get my chemistry quite right, and it’s frustrating!

If it matters, the house is in Charlotte. The ground is sloped towards the house. The dirt is mostly red clay. And I have trees all over. I will def need a pool cover!
:cool:

- VS Pump
- Oversize SWG
- Oversize filter
- Automation with motorized valves
- Automatic pool cleaner - robot or pressure cleaner like Polaris 380
- Music speakers around pool
- Utility light over equipment pad
- Spa jets & air bubbler
- Autofill water line
- Lights in your spa and pool for safety but I wouldn't spend extra for multicolor gadgetry.

bmsa,

Allen has you covered... but...

If you are having trouble maintaining your pool chemistry with a SWCG, something is seriously wrong. A SWCG pool is the easiest type of pool to have. :confused:

You can answer here if you wish, or start a new thread under in the SWCG forum... Just tell us what is causing your frustration with your current pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ahh Jim! I have posted in the chemistry section. My problem is high CH. I am not sure why- we drained the pool in January. I am at over 1100. My fill water is 225. My pool is plaster. My pool is drinking MA...

anyway I appreciate all of the ideas. I once swam in a pool that wasn’t vinyl and it wasn’t plaster. It was almost felt. I think that would be nice for the ol dream pool. Maybe a beach entry design too

How about pool shape/size/depth?

I remember as a teenager in south FL our pool was a “sports pool” or something like that where the deep end was in the middle of the pool and 2 shallow ends on each side. We hardly ever played water volleyball... we also had a little bench built in to one side. We never sat in it, lol.

In the Las Vegas area, almost all of the homes we toured had shallow pools. Most had a max depth of 4 ft. Maybe it’s due to the ground? Maybe it’s due to the difficulty retaining heat (high diurnal variation, low humidity, etc). We built ours with a min of 3ft and max of 5ft. But we live in a McMansion ontop of our neighbours and surrounded by walls. Very little room to work with..

In the New York area I remember many people had pools with a deep end of 8ft, give or take.

So I am wondering for my NC property. I have young kids. They don’t need to dive deep but I am sure they would want to as they grow.

So I’d like to hear your thoughts on shapes and sizes. And thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How about pool shape/size/depth?

I remember as a teenager in south FL our pool was a “sports pool” or something like that where the deep end was in the middle of the pool and 2 shallow ends on each side. We hardly ever played water volleyball... we also had a little bench built in to one side. We never sat in it, lol.

In the Las Vegas area, almost all of the homes we toured had shallow pools. Most had a max depth of 4 ft. Maybe it’s due to the ground? Maybe it’s due to the difficulty retaining heat (high diurnal variation, low humidity, etc). We built ours with a min of 3ft and max of 5ft. But we live in a McMansion ontop of our neighbours and surrounded by walls. Very little room to work with..

In the New York area I remember many people had pools with a deep end of 8ft, give or take.

So I am wondering for my NC property. I have young kids. They don’t need to dive deep but I am sure they would want to as they grow.

So I’d like to hear your thoughts on shapes and sizes. And thank you!

I would say say we love the 4ft min depth of our pool, we have kids and nieces/nephews under 4ft and they just love it. They are always active, jumping in, swimming, hanging on floats. We have a tanning ledge so they can sit and play with the bublers if they get tired of swimming around. I’d say the depth and shape of our pool is definitely what we love the most. If I had more $ I’d make it bigger lol, wife thinks I’m crazy on that part though :)

I would say say we love the 4ft min depth of our pool, we have kids and nieces/nephews under 4ft and they just love it. They are always active, jumping in, swimming, hanging on floats. We have a tanning ledge so they can sit and play with the bublers if they get tired of swimming around. I’d say the depth and shape of our pool is definitely what we love the most. If I had more $ I’d make it bigger lol, wife thinks I’m crazy on that part though :)

Ditto. Our 6 year old can’t touch at our 4’ minimum and we knew that when we built it. He just goes to the bench when he needs a rest. They grow quickly! Also we knew that despite telling kids (not ours) to only jump in at the deep end, that they will at times jump in the shallow. We’ve had a few visiting kids do this despite being told the rules.

I like, and this time included a long seating bench in the pool on the deep end. Love it. I figured who wants to tred water all evening in the deep end? I like simplicity. I have no fancy control boxes/computers, none of that. Pump, filter, salt gen power box, timer. That's it. Skipped the in-floor jets this time--don't miss them a bit.

IMG_0098.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0098.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.