Can’t get stabilizer up

Amor1210

May 2, 2019
Nj
I’ve been adding stabilizer to my unground 18k water pool and the Dang thing hasn’t even jumped up in numbers. Now I’ll add last year I replaced liner and never had levels where should been before closing for the winter. Pool was green on opening but all clear now. I’ve added a good 4lbs and no jump. What am I missing?

4lbs of stabilizer should give you CYA 30..

How did you add it? Sock method? Skimmer?

How long ago?

What test kit do you have?

Post a complete set of test results.

I added half into the skimmer and ran pump for 12 hours. Nothing changed só added the rest and ran another 12 hours. The readings are as follows. My ph is at a 6.8, chlorine is a 3, the alkalinity is 80 qnd the stabilizer is at a low. I’m using the test strips. I’ve attached a picture.

Attachments

• 89F4DE11-CCCF-4585-9375-C25E3545081B.jpeg
    89F4DE11-CCCF-4585-9375-C25E3545081B.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
1) cya takes a while to register, especially if you add it to the skimmer (don't do that). Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Use pool math to determine the correct amount
2) don't use test strips. Get a good test kit pronto! Taylor K-2006 or TF-100

So let’s begin with you creating your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Adding stabilizer to the skimmer and into the filter is not what we recommend. It will take a week or more to dissolve that way.

Trash your test strips and get a real test kit to follow TFPC methods. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Throw the test strips away, tehy are worthless. Right now you don't know if you have CYA 30 or 200. As you joined a year ago I'm going ot assume thre was some CYA in the water from last pool season, so who knows where it is now.

Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™

While entirely optional, I also have the Speed Stir and Sample Sizer Measuring Tool . They speed testing and accuracy.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks guys. All the pool stores have always said add to your skimmer.

I have added my signature don’t know if it was in the right place but all that’s in there.

I also have a real test kit and got the same results so went with strips which is easier to take pic.
So is it safe to say let it go a few days and check the stabilizer before even attempting to add anymore?

What kind of filter do you have? Right now the CYA is probably sitting in the filter. So if you have a DE or sand filter, do not backwash.

Well, give us a full set of tests from your kit, not the strips.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You say it was green, but clear now - how did you accomplish that? What specific products did you put in the pool?

What kind of filter do you have? Right now the CYA is probably sitting in the filter. So if you have a DE or sand filter, do not backwash.

Well, give us a full set of tests from your kit, not the strips.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You say it was green, but clear now - how did you accomplish that? What specific products did you put in the pool?
All I did was shock it and clean algae away. Also once clear added algacide and I’m just trying to get stabilizer up.
I was just outside removing some that was at the bottom of my filter. I have a catridge filter would I just corrected signature with such.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm having similar issue. I used the sock method and put in skimmer basket.
In pool school it says:
"Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return."

ajw22 says putting in skimmer is not what we recommend. If sock should go in front of return and not in skimmer, someone in admin should revise the above statement

Razorhog said essentially the same thing...don't put in skimmer. So it can create confusion and I want to make sure I'm doing what TFP recommends. Thank you

I'm having similar issue. I used the sock method and put in skimmer basket.
In pool school it says:
"Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return."

ajw22 says putting in skimmer is not what we recommend. If sock should go in front of return and not in skimmer, someone in admin should revise the above statement

Pouring stabilizer directly into skimmer is what is not recommended and what the directions on many bags say to do.

Putting stabilizer in a sock and putting it in a skimmer is ok, as long as you can ensure that the sock does not get drawn by the water to block the skimmer pipe.

I prefer suspending the sock in front of a return.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Don’t add more. You could overshoot. Wait a few days to a week if you poured into the skimmer and then retest. You don’t want to go overboard with CYA as the only way to remove it is to exchange water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.