Deb_B

May 21, 2013
Houston, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been shocking my pool for over a month. It was a black mess. Now it is clearish - slightly cloudy and I can not get past this stage. It has been about 2 weeks at slighty cloudy blue. The FC is staying fine over night with no loss or less than 1.

Per pool math app 26 is my shock.
Per CYA chart mustard level is 34. Which I used when it was black bc 26 was not making a difference for 2 weeks.

Daily brushing and backwashing as needed. I've even vacuumed to waste a few times.

It has been at 26 or slighty above for over 2 weeks. Should I still use the mustard shock level for FC?

I've been shocking the pool for over a month and a 1/2.

Lowered ph to 7.2 before shocking.

Current levels.
Fc 26.5
Cc 0
TA 110
CH 175
Cya 60
Salt 3460

Is there anything I am missing or need to do to get the water clear again?

Thanks in advance,
Debra

Hey Debra! :wave: Well, you must be frustrated going at it for this long. :hammer: Something seems odd because a SLAM in a standard AGP like yours shouldn't take so long. You definitely don't need to run at mustard algae levels either. That's only a final 24-hour process for "some" pools. In general, the normal SLAM Process is all that's needed.

My biggest concern is that filter. That's the small cartridge filter correct? If so, those things are very small and inefficient. You're almost forced to pull it out and rinse it every hour or two I bet. My gut tells me you've killed the algae with your high FC level for this long, but the filter is what's holding you up. In hind sight, if the pool was a dark & black as you describe, it may have been better to simply dump most of it and start over, but you've gone this far now. I think it's just going to take some time for that filter to grab all the dead stuff. That's my hunch since you've rode a high FC level and passed OCLT's thus-far.

It's your call here, but based on everything you've done, I don't thikn you need to maintain a SLAM level any longer either. Now it's a filtration issue. If you want, you can post a pic of your pool so we can see the water just in case something looks odd.

Last edited:
Wait Debra! I just realized you mentioned vacuuming to waste, but your signature showed the small Type B filter. So that changes things a bit. Can you tell me what type of sand filter you have and update your sig please? Is it one of those Intex combos, or something else?

I have a Intex Krystal Clear 16-inch Sand Filter Pump 3000 gph. Hmmm. I updated my sig before I posted.

It stays at 10 psi at all times unless it needs a backwah. I backwash when I see that its not pushing anything back into the pool bc I read that a dirty sand filter catches more on another thread.

You can see the bottom just fine for over a week. It just wont clear.

Thanks everyone.
20200407_131315.jpg
20200407_131308.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect you're just at the tail end of the process. Not even in true SLAM mode any longer. Your chlorine level is good, and you've passed the OCLT more than once. I think your filter just needs a bit more time because you had a LOT of junk in there from last month. Just to make sure .... you haven't added any pool store junk like floc or clarifiers that may have found their way to the sand filter have you? You are correct about a dirty working working a little better. You might also consider trying a little DE. You can see more about how to add DE to a sand filter on the Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool.

If after some time you still seem stuck, you may have to open the filter and help the sand with a deep clean as noted on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. Hopefully it won't come to that, but since your pool was so overwhelmed last month, perhaps it's just packed with junk and needs some help a standard backwash can't do.

Thank you for the advice. I will read those threads today. We are going to vacuum to waste again today. Then I believe it is time to clean the sand in the filter. Then see if Lowes has DE.

Thank you. I swear we've used at least 30+gallons of 10% pool chlorine.

Oh and yes my husband just told me he found the bottle of clarifier and added 2 oz last week. I should have hid it better or thrown it out. ?

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Debra

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.