Cant get FC up.

shaneymack

May 5, 2019
St. Lazare, Qc, Canada
Yesterday am I noticed my FC was a little low. I checked again around noon and still low. I put the SWCG on super chlorinate all day and still didn't go over 3ppm. I left it on 95% and this am it is still at 3ppm. I'm in vacation and it's been sun all day every day and we've been averaging 10 people a day in the pool from 3-6 hours a day. Water is very nice, maybe the slightest haze in the deep end. I figure that is due to heavy traffic/sunscreen etc. Why cant I get my FC up? Will it just take a few days ?
Pool is two weeks old, brand new fill.....

My pool math logs are all available through my profile.

Last edited:
Mack,

Your cell is a little small for your pool, so you will have to run it harder and longer to make the chlorine you need...

That cell in your pool will only make .25 ppm of FC per hour when set to 100% output.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day and that is with normal bather load.. It sounds like you have more than that.

The first thing I would do, is make sure my CYA was around 70 ppm.. The lower the CYA the more the sun will consume it..

I would also want to make sure I had nothing in the water consuming the FC.. To do that you would need to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: shaneymack
Mack,

Your cell is a little small for your pool, so you will have to run it harder and longer to make the chlorine you need...

That cell in your pool will only make .25 ppm of FC per hour when set to 100% output.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day and that is with normal bather load.. It sounds like you have more than that.

The first thing I would do, is make sure my CYA was around 70 ppm.. The lower the CYA the more the sun will consume it..

I would also want to make sure I had nothing in the water consuming the FC.. To do that you would need to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate the help.
I added 2kg if CYA 3 days ago. I was at 60ppm yesterday. I read on here that I should wait 7 days to add again to be sure not to blow past my mark.
I just bought 5 jugs of purox and added a little to be sure I'm at proper levels untill I get this sorted out. We will be 10 in the pool today and anywhere from 30-50 on Sunday. Can't have this thing go green.

You are going to be walking a fine line with that many swimmers in a system that is already showing signs of an algae bloom. I agree be proactive by raising the FC level but within safe levels for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels
Raise your FC ASAP after your guests leave and get prepared for day 2 by repeating the process.

You are going to be walking a fine line with that many swimmers in a system that is already showing signs of an algae bloom. I agree be proactive by raising the FC level but within safe levels for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels
Raise your FC ASAP after your guests leave and get prepared for day 2 by repeating the process.
I added around 2 litres of purox this am. Should I bring FC up to 6-7 ppm before party and after ?

If your CYA is 60ppm, you're safe up to 24ppm of FC for swimmers to be in the pool. That's a bit excessive for FC levels. Maybe try bumping up to 9 with some liquid chlorine and test after the swimmers are done? I know when I had the pool party at my place, I bumped up to between the recommended and SLAM levels and it seemed to help the haziness clear faster.

If your CYA is 60ppm, you're safe up to 24ppm of FC for swimmers to be in the pool. That's a bit excessive for FC levels. Maybe try bumping up to 9 with some liquid chlorine and test after the swimmers are done? I know when I had the pool party at my place, I bumped up to between the recommended and SLAM levels and it seemed to help the haziness clear faster.
Wow I didnt think it was safe to swim over 6-7 ppm fc!

Wow I didnt think it was safe to swim over 6-7 ppm fc!
Perfectly safe. AND you NEED to get it up there with that swimmer load. If it were my pool, I would (with the addition of purox) have FC of 8-10 ppm BEFORE 10 swimmers and FC of about 20-22 BEFORE 30-50 swimmers. If not your pool will be completely hazy and you will overwhelm your SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is safe to swim up to SLAM level as long as you can see the bottom of the pool. I'd bump that FC up as much as you can. It appears to me that 1 swimmer = ~.75ppm FC loss in my pool. You could run tests before and after swimmers to find out what your loss is per swimmer. Take into account the sun as well.

It is safe to swim up to SLAM level as long as you can see the bottom of the pool. I'd bump that FC up as much as you can. It appears to me that 1 swimmer = ~.75ppm FC loss in my pool. You could run tests before and after swimmers to find out what your loss is per swimmer. Take into account the sun as well.
That sucks, had I known I would not have wasted money on a SWCG. Kind of useless if I have to constantly still add bleach which is ridiculously expensive. With tax it costs a little over 8$ per 5L and with my pool size it would take like 20 litres to get it into the 20-22 ppm .

How many hours a day are you running your pump? Our pool is about the same size and my T-15 cell has no problem keeping FC level at 6ppm and the sun is a lot stronger here I suspect than in Quebec. What test kit are you using?

Salty

Last edited:
I would try running 24hrs but at a much lower speed like 1000rpm, are you running it 19hrs at 2500rpm, if so your electric bill is going to be larger than it needs to be. If you have a solar cover that will help prevent chlorine burn off while not in use. With that heavy of bather load you’re going to have to supplement with bleach but it shouldn’t be that way all the time.

Salty

Have you tested your salt? Also, can you get a sample to test FC off the return? You can put the vial/comparator in upside down, then quickly turn it and try to catch the concentrated water just after the SWG. Maybe you need more salt?

I would try running 24hrs but at a much lower speed like 1000rpm, are you running it 19hrs at 2500rpm, if so your electric bill is going to be larger than it needs to be. If you have a solar cover that will help prevent chlorine burn off while not in use. With that heavy of bather load you’re going to have to supplement with bleach but it shouldn’t be that way all the time.

Salty
I cannot run too much under 2000rpm as I have to meet minimum requirements for heat pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.