Can't get Chlorine to hold

The saltwater is irrelevant until the SWG cell is active.

That said - you're not at standard levels, you're at SLAM levels. Burnoff will be higher at that higher level of FC than the standard 2-4ppm I mentioned earlier. (Brain fart, forgot that until now. Still new to all of this myself!) Hard to say if it's standard or not, but if you don't see any more of that dead algae tomorrow and you have no CCs, water still clear and no loss overnight, then you should be good to end the SLAM.

Updates:

630 FC 11.5 (add 1/2 L chlorine)
815 FC 12.5, CC 0.0 (no add!! ??????)

Note: sun is off pool around 630

Questions:

The stains are getting bad... Can I add anything at this point? Would "Stain & Scale" be OK? I'd hate for them not to come out after. Starting to see new tiny rust stains and what looks like sea salt in the skimmer sock.

Last edited:
Good morning, updates:

Tested at sundown last night:
845: FC 12.0

Then midnight: FC: 11

Then 6am: FC 11, CC 0.0

Now at 9am: FC 10

Water is very clear, and saw just a tiny amount of grey dirt/algae on pool stairs. After touching it, some of it was gritty like sand (was sand) and other was very like dust that washed away.

What do you guys think? Good to let it drop now?

Last edited:
You can either call it done or since it's holding the fc very well go one more night olct. Either way your good. Vacuum that stuff and get it out of the pool/water. I would recommend backwash afterwards too then definitely DONE.

Reactions: ScubaDoo
You can either call it done or since it's holding the fc very well go one more night olct. Either way your good. Vacuum that stuff and get it out of the pool/water. I would recommend backwash afterwards too then definitely DONE.

Should I try to keep it at 12 FC if I want to do one more OLCT? Or let it drop to like 6 FC as my low CYA (30) makes it tough to hold on a sunny day like today.

You are in Canada? Canada does not have the sun angle Texas does. Keep your CYA at 30 until you are sure you are done with algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are in Canada? Canada does not have the sun angle Texas does. Keep your CYA at 30 until you are sure you are done with algae.

After drop of 1 FC overnight, no CC and clear water (see above for results), does it sound like the algae is finished off? Should I let the FC drop to normal ranges (FC 6)? And then run a OLCT tonight at FC 6?

Last edited:
To clarify what above poster said, "super high" chlorine readings that render pH testing inaccurate are anything over 10ppm (which really isn't that high in my opinion). But just want to clarify what he meant by "super high".

Was referring to earlier "
I tried more (5L bottle) to try to kick start it. Did a test 5 hr later and chlorine was very high (off chart of tester 10+) and PH (8.2) was now as well. Before bed last night put in some dry acid to bring down PH and planned to let sun burn off some chlorine in the sun the next day. Woke up, tested and FC was back to 0.0 and PH was 7.2."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.