Can't get Chlorine to hold

Your call. I stopped with the low levels and had the little bit of dead algae at the bottom, then decided to try raising it up again and it cleared out more of the dead algae showing up daily. If you can do it, I guess I'd recommend going one more day and seeing if the dirt/algae goes down and call it good if it doesn't (probably just dirt at that point).

Congrats on getting this far :)

Reactions: ScubaDoo
Well, sun is starting to hit the pool now. Am I interested in how much it will drop in sun or is that.more or less irrelevant as it's likely the sunlight burning up FC?

Should I switch the SWG back on now and see if it holds 4-6 FC through the day?

Have you passed all three criteria? Crystal clear water being the first?

You should maintain SLAM FC level until you pass all three.

I am sure the water looks clear. But if you have dead algae on the floor in the morning, where did that come from? If you brush it, does the water now become cloudy?

It's clear, but the dead algae indicates you still have some in your system somewhere. I stopped my own SLAM early and had dead algae on the bottom too, thinking it was just dirt. No loss overnight, crystal clear water, only showed up when pump was on (probably gathering up the minimal dead algae on the bottom). I had to get back up to SLAM levels to stop that from happening.

Ok, well no reason not to hold it another day. Best safe than sorry...I have 20L of chlorine on hand. If I am maintaining the FC 12, can I use the SWG to assist? Or Best to leave it off until I plan to return to FC 4-6 after SLAM?

Also, I saw a black tar like gunk above the water line of the skimmer yesterday. Assumed it was just oils in the water. Does this look like oils or is it algae? (Please don't be black algae).
20190709_092141_HDR.jpg
Side note: I use skimmer socks and before SLAM started socks were coming out light brown, after last night not so bad maybe a slight tinge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as the black stuff: I don't have much experience with this sort of thing but I would scrub it off and use watered down bleach to scrub to be safe.

As far as the black stuff: I don't have much experience with this sort of thing but I would scrub it off and use watered down bleach to scrub to be safe.

Bleach didn't seem to do much, but my Citrus Degreaser took it all away and made the skimmer look much better. Then wiped with bleach just in case.

Can I ask what your guys opinion is on my pool ladder? As mentioned, I found algae underneath a couple steps. I removed steps and soaked in bleach, scrubbed and soaked. But ... The worst step still has a browny/greeny stain in some areas underneath. Also, the two that had algae are powdery to touch now that they are dry. I've left them in the sun to dry off but should I put them right back in the pool during SLAM? Should I replace if powdery? Are they more likely to have algae return?

Brown/green stain on ladder sounds like metal stains. Try some AA/vitamin C on it.

Update:

930 - FC 11 (added 0.6L --> FC12)
1115 - FC 10 (added 1.3L --> FC12)
1215 - FC 11 (added 0.6L --> FC12)
230 - FC 6.5 / CC 0.0 (added 4.5L --> FC 13.5)

Big drop in the hot sun... Also noticed when gettinng the Chlorine my SWG had the output light flashing which I read means it was cell-reversing to clean as there looks like a little scale was building up.

Does that seem like a significant drop for 2 hrs? With the SWG at 60% shouldn't it have helped it stay higher?

Side note: Can't really notice anymore dead algae/dirt on pool bottom.

Typical loss from sun is anywhere from 2-4ppm per day. By my math you're at around 11.5ppm so far. It's killing something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.