Can't find liquid Chlorine ! COVID19

Avoid bleach that states splashless, scented, or any type of fabric enhancers (i.e. polymers). These byproducts can cause cloudiness or foaming in a pool.
That is the issue. Nearly all household bleach now has additives Clorox has Cloromax. Many have Fabric Protection, scents, splashless, etc.
All are now 6% or less sodium hypochlorite.

Search out and use liquid chlorine if at all possible.

This is a surprising statement about Clorox to me since when I studied this several years ago on this site it seemed Clorox was the go to chlorinating agent. Here is a recommendation from Pool School:

"Household bleach and liquid pool chlorine are the two common sources. They are identical in every aspect except strength, household bleach is typically 6%. Pool chlorine typically sold at pool stores is usually around 12%. Avoid bleach that states splashless, scented, or any type of fabric enhancers (i.e. polymers). These byproducts can cause cloudiness or foaming in a pool. Basic, plain unscented, non-thickened bleach is ideal."

Have I missed something or thoughts on this changed?

Thanks for a reply.

MK
Several years ago you could buy Clorox bleach without additives so it was often recommended on this site, but then they made a change to their formula and Clorox bleach now all has "cloromax" which is a polymer additive that is not good for pool use, so it is no longer recommended.

"This is a surprising statement about Clorox to me since when I studied this several years ago on this site it seemed Clorox was the go to chlorinating agent. " In the last couple of years (I think) Clorox brand has been adding a product called "cloramax" sp? to their bleaches. This is a polymer product and is therefore not recommended

I meant if you CAN handle adding calcium. Cal Hypo adds calcium along with chlorine. What is your CH level of the pool water and your fill water.

Clorox bleach has Cloromax. A polymer. Plus it is just 6%. Very expensive versus Pool Essentials 10% from Walmart or HDX Chloronating Liquid 10% from Home Depot.

Is the HDX from Home Depot in the pool supplies or janitorial dept?

Also, is there a difference between the muriatic they sell in pool and concrete departments?

Is the HDX from Home Depot in the pool supplies or janitorial dept?

Also, is there a difference between the muriatic they sell in pool and concrete departments?
HDX 10% is in Pool Supply located in Garden Section.

Only difference could be strength. Most Home Depots have boxes of 2 - 1 gallon jugs of full strength MA - 31.45% - in the Pool area of the Garden Section. Check the boxes. They sell 14.5% for about a $1 less.

I would check strengths on the muriatic acid. I bought some at Lowe's and it's half strength. It seemed like a great deal but at half strength it's cheaper to buy the full strength stuff at Ace Hardware... Probably the pool acid will be 14.5% instead of 31.5%. Still usable but you have to make sure you dose the right amount. I think HDX chlorine is 10% just like the stuff at Wal-Mart but I haven't actually bought any of their bleach yet. (and might not because eventually I will get the SWCG completely installed!)

Last edited:
Concord Home Depot lists 473 cases of 3 one gallon bottles of liquid chlorine available in the pool section. Probably no limit too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply about the change in Clorox formulation. I had no idea. As stated above I found some Chlorinating Liquid which I will switch to.

Yea, I was/am in the same boat. When I got started with all this Pool Chemistry (8 years ago!), the recommendation was always Clorox Bleach - which I was always getting at COSTCO. (without SCENTS, etc). I had no idea about this Polymar additive issue ... but I've now switched to the Chlorine from HD. Although the "beware of date" issue concerns me now. Nice feature is to be able to just have cases of it delivered (for a small fee of $6.99) ... BUT .... are they just clearing the OLD stuff out for deliveries? I'll have to pay attention to the dates.

Thanks !!!

I've attached a PIC of a box of this from HD ... How can I determine the "DATE" on the product ? or if THAT pic doesn't show it, WHERE can it be found? This is the only number I can find. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200511_105746.jpg
    20200511_105746.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 19
I've attached a PIC of a box of this from HD ... How can I determine the "DATE" on the product ? or if THAT pic doesn't show it, WHERE can it be found? This is the only number I can find. Thanks

The first two digits should be the year, and the next 3 digits the day of the year. So it looks like it was produced the 99th day of 2020 (April 8, 2020).

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.