LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Costco is totally out of liquid Chlorine, and when it DOES arrive, they limit to 1 Box (3 pack). Frankly glad we're not in HOT summer months -- YET.

So I found this at an Online Pool Supply store & would appreciate any comments on the product. It SAYS that it is unlike the Trichlor stuff that contains Stabilizers. A good thing, IMHO. Contents: Calcium Hypochlorite: 70.2%, Other Ingredients: 29.8% (I have no idea what "other" means, but I can only assume it's stuff needed to make them solid in tablet form???

So in the experts opinions, is THIS a decent enough product to get us thru this challenging period? Be safe out there peeps.

Costco does not carry liquid chlorine to my knowledge. They have Clorox bleach that has additives you should not put in your pool water.
Walmart, Home Depot, and other big box stores have been reported to have liquid chlorine. Look in the garden section.
The tabs you linked to have calcium. If you can handle adding calcium, you are better off using granular cal hypo.

Yea, I should have said liquid BLEACH ... but WOW.. I've been using that CLOROX BLEACH for 8 years and it has been working great.

And did you mean "If you can't handle adding calcium, you are better off using granular cal hypo. " << which seems to be only 68% Chlorine. Do you have a link to which brand you buy???? Thanks

HDX 1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack) in Concord Ca. 389 2 packs available

"If you can't handle adding calcium, you are better off using granular cal hypo. "

No he meant what he said, If your pool can handle additional Calcium, then use Powdered Cal-Hypo, otherwise use liquid chlorine, without Calcium of CYA

I meant if you CAN handle adding calcium. Cal Hypo adds calcium along with chlorine. What is your CH level of the pool water and your fill water.

Clorox bleach has Cloromax. A polymer. Plus it is just 6%. Very expensive versus Pool Essentials 10% from Walmart or HDX Chloronating Liquid 10% from Home Depot.

PS - I usually shoot for about 220-250 in my Calcium ... I can honestly say I have no idea right now what it is ... but I'm guessing it's pretty low. (I use Leslie's Calcium Hardness Plus during swim season). I don't do a whole lot of chemical additions during the COLD winter water temp. (water is about 50 degrees right now). I usually just add some Chlorine (Bleach) about every 2 weeks ... and checked Chlorine levels YESTERDAY and it's around 3 ppm. Pool water is very very clear. Anyway, thanks again ... I"ll get some of that liquid from Home Depot.

I'm in the same boat as cody21. I have been using 1 gallon of bleach and 1 puck per week for several years in my 13000 gal pool after learning about it here. Now I can't find Clorox or any Chloronating Liquid anywhere due to the virus.

I'm thinking about substituting some shock once a week to replace the Clorox until it gets back in stock. After all it is just granular chlorine. Any downside to this thought?

What do y'all think about that idea?

Thanks,

MK

I'm thinking about substituting some shock once a week to replace the Clorox until it gets back in stock. After all it is just granular chlorine. Any downside to this thought?
'Shock' granular has either CYA or Calcium in it. Can you afford adding those? What are pool water chemistry results.

Where are you located? I can almost gurantee there is a lowes, HD, or walmart within a 100 miles that has pool chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have to add Calcium, you should look into using Cal Hypo for part of your chlorine maintenance.

OK, I'm confusing myself now ... Are you saying use CAL HYPO in addition to Liquid Chlorine ? e.g., instead of Calcium Hardness+ as part of my regular routine ?? DO you also have a link to recommended CAL HYPO ?? I'm going to make a trip to Home Depot to snatch up some HDX ... Thanks again, and sorry for any lame questions... Just trying to be specific.

Calcium Hypochlorite adds calcium and chlorine to your pool water. Since it sounds like you need both, use it.
Leslie's calls it Power Powder Plus. I suspect you can get it cheaper at Walmart or Home Depot. Or online Check Amazon.

Powdered Cal-Hypo adds chlorine AND Calcium. If you normally have to add Calcium Plus during the season, use Cal-Hypo instead, and at the same time reduce your liquid chlorine addition. So if you normally add 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and 1 scoop of calcium plus per week, you could add 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine and 1 scoop of Cal-Hypo, and get close to the same numbers.

those numbers are just examples, you would have to do the math to figure what it really is. use Pool math tab at left.

Wal-Mart, Lowes HD tend to have it. My Wal-Mart was pretty cleaned out. I suspect it's pool owners who are doing it and not hoarders. Some pool shops (particularly independent ones) sell HASA Liquid Chlorine (13%) which if you can get it at a reasonable price is the best. Wal-Mart, honestly is a close second because they move the stuff and it's reasonably priced 10% Pool Essentials brand. HD and Lowes don't store and handle their chlorine properly and during normal times I'd only buy them with really fresh dates. Now it might be worth the risk, but watch the dates so you don't buy too old of stuff and I would test your chlorine levels more often if you have to adjust for weaker than expected bleach...

I meant if you CAN handle adding calcium. Cal Hypo adds calcium along with chlorine. What is your CH level of the pool water and your fill water.

Clorox bleach has Cloromax. A polymer. Plus it is just 6%. Very expensive versus Pool Essentials 10% from Walmart or HDX Chloronating Liquid 10% from Home Depot.

This is a surprising statement about Clorox to me since when I studied this several years ago on this site it seemed Clorox was the go to chlorinating agent. Here is a recommendation from Pool School:

"Household bleach and liquid pool chlorine are the two common sources. They are identical in every aspect except strength, household bleach is typically 6%. Pool chlorine typically sold at pool stores is usually around 12%. Avoid bleach that states splashless, scented, or any type of fabric enhancers (i.e. polymers). These byproducts can cause cloudiness or foaming in a pool. Basic, plain unscented, non-thickened bleach is ideal."

Have I missed something or thoughts on this changed?

Thanks for a reply.

MK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.