Cannot measure FC after Jack's Magic Copper stain treatment-ugh!!

Sulfamic Acid is a strong acid (pKa =1.0) and completely dissociates in an aqueous solution.

H2NSO3H + H2O <==> H3O+ + H2NSO3-

So, the hydrogen attached to the oxygen should come off right away as the sulfamic is added to water.

Copper or calcium can connect to the oxygen where the hydrogen was.

Since they are +2, they connect to two sulfamic acid molecules.

I think that the chlorine will mostly connect to the nitrogen as shown below.

The below shows the oxidation states, but I think that the chlorine will be in the +1 state and the Nitrogen will be in the -3 state until the chlorine oxidizes the nitrogen, at which time it can go to nitrogen gas at a 0 state or to nitrite or to nitrate.

UV probably helps break down the bonds by energizing the electrons and giving them a better chance of going to the chlorine atoms pulling on them.

1664045881401.png

1664045930586.png

1664045305313.png

It’s the sulfur-nitrogen bond that needs to break in order for the sulfamate anion to hydrolyze into bisulfate and ammonium. When chlorine is bound, the process is likely slowed.

I’d still be interested to see what the addition of peroxide does … :stirpot:

You can increase the CH some to help the CSI.

Also, allow the pH to rise to about 7.8, but don't add anything to raise it; it will increase on its own.
It’s the sulfur-nitrogen bond that needs to break in order for the sulfamate anion to hydrolyze into bisulfate and ammonium. When chlorine is bound, the process is likely slowed.

I’d still be interested to see what the addition of peroxide does … :stirpot:
All very cool. I will defer on the chemistry to you all. But my observation—not scientific by any means—the CC started to get better after starting the SLAM. BUT just because A happened before B does not make a cause and effect relationship…

An armature observation from the guy with the messed up pool….

Reactions: JamesW
If the chlorine can oxidize the nitrogen, then the nitrogen-sulfur bond goes away.

In any case, we are just speculating on some things, but we probably have a pretty good understanding of the basics.

the CC started to get better after starting the SLAM. BUT just because A happened before B does not make a cause and effect relationship…
A higher chlorine level will (probably) accelerate the breakdown of the sulfamic acid.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Update so anyone reading this thread in the future

GETTING CLOSE

water is clear
No algae yet (I’ll have a better look when the sun is up)
BUT:

Failed the OCLT :mad:
Last night. TC 15 CC 0.5
This am. TC 12.5 CC 1.0

Close but no cigar…

We continue on with the SLAM

On a side note: how do you measure and pour chlorine from the big yellow pool store jugs without splashing it all over me and the pool deck? Os there a spout I can buy?D4F5FF18-68CE-4DE3-9537-3351B9DF9CD1.jpeg

Isn’t that a “No Glug” jug?

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too precise with measuring bleach into secondary containers OR I would suggest wearing clothes you don’t like.

Isn’t that a “No Glug” jug?

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too precise with measuring bleach into secondary containers OR I would suggest wearing clothes you don’t like.
Not a big deal
The bleach bottles were just so easy to use and measure this is just awkward to add less than 1/2 gallon or so

Get a section of plastic tubing about 3 feet long.

Fill the tubing with pool water by submerging the tubing in the pool.

Put your finger over one end of the tube.

Put the other end in the jug.

Put the other end in the pool.

Remove your finger and a siphon will begin.

Once the correct amount has been dispensed, lift the tubing above the liquid to allow the tubing to clear and then rinse the tubing in the pool water.

Alternatively, make sure that the jug is clean and lower it into the water and pour out the correct amount.

Lift the jug and wipe it with paper towels to keep it clean and dry.

Once the jug is half empty, it is easy to pour without a mess.

So haven’t posted a progress report in a while. Pool was turning the corner and almost passed the OCLT and…

Hurricane Ian showed up. Put half of my roof in the pool

E025C9F6-3D8A-4D05-A8A9-D266B1C24603.jpeg

So this thread is done for now. I will start a new thread for anyone interested in cleaning up my pool (AGAIN!?) after a Cat 4 Hurricane

Everyone in my family is fine. Things can be replaced or fixed. We were truly lucky. The same cannot be said for many in my community

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.