Cannot measure FC after Jack's Magic Copper stain treatment-ugh!!

I don't think that the stains are copper.

Who diagnosed the stains as copper?

Maybe black algae, but it is hard to tell for sure.
I thought I read about he said the Jacks Step #1 diagnosed it as Copper.? I might be mistaken.

If it were black algae, rubbing a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes would remove the black staining. It wouldn’t necessarily get rid of the BA because that form of algae tends to develop hyphae deep into the plaster, but it would make it disappear for a bit.

Could also be dirty calcium scale. Calcium carbonate is white in its pure form but it can pick up and entrain a lot of dirt and silt suspended in the pool water. I believe the Jacks Stain Kit lumps scale and copper into the same test. Sulfamic acid is less aggressive towards calcium scale than copper stains.

If it’s scale, you can take a wet/dry sanding sponge, medium or fine grit and hit an inconspicuous spot with it. See if that polishes the plaster clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ill raise the TA tonight and reck pH tomorrow
I’ll try the sanding sponge and a tricolor tab for good measure
pH 7.2
TA 60
FC 1
TC 12

Adding bleach tonight
Should I do anything about the pH
And any idea what is driving my pH down?

Is it related to the salamis acid breaking down (not sure if that is the right term)

Of you have access to a pH meter or a different pH indicator, like bromothymol blue, you can cross check your pH results. It maybe be that the chlorosulfamate levels are high enough to interfere with phenol red indicator. Chlorine usually causes false high pH results but chlorosulfamate might cause a different interference.

Confirming what JamesW says.......

Lower pH - use muriatic acid....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

Confirming what JamesW says.......

Lower pH - use muriatic acid....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH
Just so I am clear
Borax, sodium carbonate and washing soda are all the same thing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.