Winter Garden FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So this is a new pool and I'm not sure if I should post here or on my build thread but I feel like I'm transitioning away from the build side. For the past few tests my alkalinity has been high >80 and I have followed the pool math recommendation to drop the Ph to 7.0-7.2 but the alkalinity hasn't budged. What am I doing wrong and what should I do?

1611094640970.png

It looks like you added baking soda too, which raises your TA.

So you raised TA by ~20 by adding the baking soda and each 40 oz addition of acid knocks down the TA by 10, so you are essentially a wash.
I wouldnt get too worried about a TA of 100, just keep knocking down the pH as needed and I bet you will naturally get to a TA or 80 or 90.

It looks like you added baking soda too, which raises your TA.

So you raised TA by ~20 by adding the baking soda and each 40 oz addition of acid knocks down the TA by 10, so you are essentially a wash.
I wouldnt get too worried about a TA of 100, just keep knocking down the pH as needed and I bet you will naturally get to a TA or 80 or 90.

Ok thanks I'll just keep watching the Ph and adding acid to keep it down.

Your TA was fine on your build thread and is still fine here.

TA is the least important chemical you measure. As JJ said your TA will come down as you lower your pH.

Your TA was fine on your build thread and is still fine here.

TA is the least important chemical you measure. As JJ said your TA will come down as you lower your pH.

Roger and thank you just nervous with the whole new pool thing.

What are the most important chemicals? Ph, Chlorine, and CYA?

FC is the most important. pH in the 7's. Enough CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun.

If you really want to smash the TA down then add greater quantities of acid at a time. That chews up the TA. Then let the pH come back up.

But as noted above your TA is fine. You can let it drift down slowly over weeks/months as you add acid

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.