Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,

I am looking to convert to SWG from liquid chlorine maintained pool.

Is this something I can install myself? If so, which SWG would you recommend and why?

Thank you!

For a 23,000 gallon pool you should find a SWG that is at least 2x your pool size. A few 60k SWGs are available. Most are pretty easy to install if you have a handy nature.
Check this out for some comparisons-
www.discountsaltpool.com

You'll never regret going to salt chlorine... easiest method of chlorination I've found!

Maddie :flower:

In Canada your options may be limited on SWCG's. I do not think Circupool ships to Canada. You could check on using a shipper, one that is mentioned is MyUS.com. Though I suspect your duty and VAT will be substantial on the purchase.

Nice! Thank you for the reassurance. Could you advise which brand to go with?

Also, is there any do's and don'ts with SWG? For example, if pump is off, do I have to turn off SWG to not break it? Or when do I need to unplug the SWG? I heard there are times you need to do this.

I can probably get a friend to deliver it to me from US, the issue is, is warranty void? If not Circupool, what other brand would you recommend? And what specific model?

I would suspect the warranty would be void out side of the US. Hayward is a reliable manufacturer. However, do NOT get the low salt version they sell in Canada. It would not keep up in your pool volume.

The SWCG should be powered off when the pump is not running. As you have a VS pump, you will need a timer for the SWCG so you can set it to be off when you schedule the VS pump to be off.

Got it. That makes sense. Thank you!

Overall do you recommend a SWG or is it a headache? I know Yippee seems to have good reviews on it.

SWCG is the only way to chlorinate a pool in my opinion. In your short season, I can see where it can be expensive but the equipment should last longer as long as it is stored in a reasonable location when removed for winter.

Also I forgot to ask, is there a solution to any SWG on how I can cut the power and time it to my VS pump? I saw CircuPool SWG for example does not have the ability to program it to turn off at same time as VS.

Thanks for the response, that makes sense, the goal is to make it less maintenance than putting chlorine daily into the pool. Also, when I need to SLAM the pool, can I keep the SWG running? Or, for SLAM SWG must be off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The SWG is great at maintaining your chlorine level, but liquid chlorine should be used to SLAM or to establish the initial level. But, in 15 years of using a SWG I’ve never had to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.