Interested in converting to SWG

The cell can orient either way but the flow switch needs to be horizontal or have 'up flow'. If you mount it downward, gravity will close the switch when it fails. It won't be for some time, probably a long time, but it's a cheapo 19 cent moving part and will fail.

Don't be constricted by what you see. You can add pipe any direction from A to B to accomplish the goal. A few 90s won't make any appreciable change to flow.
Good point on the 90s, I actually did that when installing the new pump. I see they offer this vertical kit as well.

Last edited:
The blue circle looks just long enough to squeeze the flow switch in there, but if not, here's an example of thinking outside the box

View attachment 575020
Gotcha, that makes sense. Circupools offers a vertical option is the blue part the flow switch??

Attachments

• Capture22.JPG
    Capture22.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: newdude
. I see they offer this vertical kit as well.
It's convenient, but you have to weld it all anyway so you might as well custom make your own and save a few bucks.

I don't split pennies but I will happily make 6 extra cuts to save $30 (?). It's worth the 5 minutes of my time. If it saved 2 hours ? Then I'd be 100% on team kit. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: coachhim
Also consider rotating the line coming off of the filter from the 5 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position so it is horizontal. You should be able to fit the flow switch first then the cell before making the 90° transition down.

Also consider rotating the line coming off of the filter from the 5 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position so it is horizontal. You should be able to fit the flow switch first then the cell before making the 90° transition down.
Does it matter if the flow switch is before or after the salt cell? opinions on this?

Attachments

• unnamed111.jpg
    unnamed111.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 1
  • unnamed11.jpg
    unnamed11.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 1
If I recall correctly, CP recommends a certain amount of straight pipe prior to the cell. Since that length includes the flow switch, it's best to mount before the cell. You can download the manual from their website just to confirm. I don't have it in front of me right now.

Reactions: coachhim
Another question while I am researching. How often do you guys add salt? Preferred brands do you guys use? I am guessing with my pool size I would be looking at initial adding 700lbs of salt

How often do you guys add salt?
Only when required. :) Heavy rains (overflow) and splashout will lower your salt. During last summer's drought, I didn't add any. I typically have to add salt twice a year, but every situation and climate is different.

Preferred brands do you guys use?
Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals (blue bags).

I am guessing with my pool size I would be looking at initial adding 700lbs of salt
Before adding any salt, test your water first with a K-1766. You might be surprised how much salt is already in the water. Use PoolMath to help with the calculations. Look into getting the salt delivered. I had Home Depot deliver my salt yesterday for $9.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question while I am researching. How often do you guys add salt? Preferred brands do you guys use? I am guessing with my pool size I would be looking at initial adding 700lbs of salt
I would guess we have fairly similar weather. We only get meaningful rain in April/May and October so I start the spring needing CYA and salt from overflow from spring rains. Otherwise, don't typically ever need to add salt other than this time of year.

Only when required. :) Heavy rains (overflow) and splashout will lower your salt. During last summer's drought, I didn't add any. I typically have to add salt twice a year, but every situation and climate is different.

Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals (blue bags).

Before adding any salt, test your water first with a K-1766. You might be surprised how much salt is already in the water. Use PoolMath to help with the calculations. Look into getting the salt delivered. I had Home Depot deliver my salt yesterday for $9.
Thank you very much. I saw that brand seems like that would be the best cost effective way. They do 10% off with 10 bags I think

Good point, with the salt already in there. Do you have in corrosion rust issues?? I have a metal ladder .
I would guess we have fairly similar weather. We only get meaningful rain in April/May and October so I start the spring needing CYA and salt from overflow from spring rains. Otherwise, don't typically ever need to add salt other than this time of year.
Ok what I’m questioning now. Been browsing forum, what I’ve read is that swg cause the ph to fluctuate.

Is this true?

What about corrosion? How much damage have you all seen or not?

The SWG itself doesn't have an appreciable effect on pH. Most people that make these claims change from acidic tablets and find their pH rises because they are no longer using tablets. Many of us have found that running our TA under 80ppm will help to mitigate calcium flakes and help to control pH rise.

If you look hard enough, you might find an excuse not to get a SWG. But you won't convince most of us that have made the change. Just move forward and set aside any doubts.

Both the 60k pureline and Circupool will conservitively produce over 1500 jugs worth of FC in 26k gallons.

I cannot overstate that convienence no matter how hard I try.
The only gallon bottle I need every once in a while is muriatic acid to keep the pH in line, 2 gallons last me a year. And I'm way more afraid of bases, not acids! P.S. DE filter because the extra DE gets sprinkled around the yard and kills ants and spiders and silverfish and, well, every creepy crawly creature with an exoskeleton that touches it. It's the cheapest, safest pest control on the planet!

Thank you very much. I saw that brand seems like that would be the best cost effective way. They do 10% off with 10 bags I think

Good point, with the salt already in there. Do you have in corrosion rust issues?? I have a metal ladder .

Ok what I’m questioning now. Been browsing forum, what I’ve read is that swg cause the ph to fluctuate.

Is this true?

No corrosion, as long as you're balanced. The ladders are made to withstand water immersion. Rust is pervasive, don't let it start. The pH will naturally rise with an SWG and occasionally you will have to add muriatic acid to lower it. BRUSH THE WALLS AND THE SHADED PARTS.

No corrosion, as long as you're balanced. The ladders are made to withstand water immersion. Rust is pervasive, don't let it start. The pH will naturally rise with an SWG and occasionally you will have to add muriatic acid to lower it. BRUSH THE WALLS AND THE SHADED PARTS.
Scares me because I have a very old pool. Built in 1969. We have done a lot of work on it. I am concerned about the wear on my jets, they are on the bottom of the pool they arent on the sides like most

Your pool already has salt from the byproducts of chlorine, muriatic acid, another chemicals you've added. It's not uncommon for non saltwater pools to have saline levels in excess of 2,000 ppm. A SWG needs around 3,000 ppm. These levels are nothing like ocean levels which are about 10 times the amount needed for a SWG.

We’ve used a SWCG on our pool for 20 years and counting; no corrosion, no damage to anything. 👍

There’s simply not enough salt in a SWCG pool to cause damage.

For the Circupool, they suggest a certain amount of straight pipe before the flow switch - and the cell itself counts for part of that straight pipe segment before the flow switch. So you can install the flow switch AFTER the cell.

I wouldn't get hung up on the straight pipe recs here. The dirt simple system has great flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support