Can you mount anything to the Upright Support?

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
I'm installing a Salt Chlorine Generator a CircuPool RJ-30, and cannot think of a method to mount the control unit.
1. I could mount it to the Upright support column, but is that OK?
2. Mount a 2x8 treated board on the column and then mount to it?
3. I could mount a 4x4 post and mount the control unit on it, but it would be in the middle of all my plumbing area.
What is the method I should go? Please explain why? or other ideas?
18x33x52 AGP

Mounting an electric device to a metal post that will take splash out is not wise, and maybe even against code.

If it was my pool, I would not put one hole in it that I didn't have to. Any imperfections to the finish of the frame invite rust, which is almost always the downfall of an above ground pool.

So for both reasons I would dig a post into the ground (carefully if there was plumbing nearby) and mount the controller to the post.

Option 3. Because I said so. LOL

Seriously, you want your electrical stuff a few feet away from the pool wall. It doesn’t have to be in the middle of your plumbing - my post is about 5 or 6 feet away from pool wall - I forget which but it meets code requirements. Pump and sand filter are closer to pool, with probably about 1-2 feet of space to the post. Gives me enough room to work around plumbing if I need to close valves to maintain salt cell or work on any other issue.

Where do you have your pump plugged in?

Reactions: Newdude
Option 3. Because I said so. LOL

Seriously, you want your electrical stuff a few feet away from the pool wall. It doesn’t have to be in the middle of your plumbing - my post is about 5 or 6 feet away from pool wall - I forget which but it meets code requirements. Pump and sand filter are closer to pool, with probably about 1-2 feet of space to the post. Gives me enough room to work around plumbing if I need to close valves to maintain salt cell or work on any other issue.

Where do you have your pump plugged in?
I feel I will mount a treated 4x4. I have a two ft high 4x4 next to the pump that has power for the pump and an open receptacle for the chlorinator. It should be ok to put it about 2 ft away from the pool and 3 or 4 ft from power or as far as that power cord will reach. (Opinions?)

I know the chlorinator is waterproof but.... is there any need to shield it from pool water or Sunshine? or just hang it on the post?

We put a couple of cross pieces on an open side of my electrical post, and mounted controller to that. We faced it towards the house so I can look out a back window and see the lights. I’d rather have the electrical stuff all together and not have any long cord lengths between post and equipment. Flow meter cable is the only one that stretches any length, and I have it running alongside the equipment pad.

Oh, and my box isn’t shaded, but it wouldn’t be hard to attach a shade to post.