Can You Help Me?

Ok I just tested it. It took 10 drops to turn the pink to clear. If I am understanding correctly that means I am at 5 ppms right? In a previous post to do my shock process I was told to keep the ppms to 24. Does that mean it would take about 44 drops to show I was at 24 ppms? In that case I need lots more bleach?

24ppm would be 48 drops.

You need to use the calculator with the NOW set to 5ppm and the TARGET set to 24ppm and it will tell you how many OZ of bleach (set the correct %) to add.

OMGSH! I am killing myself trying to get my pool cleared up! How long does it take? I add bleach (three jugs in the morning and three in the evening) but don't get to vacuum everyday. Is it supposed to take that long? It went from dark green to milky blue right off the bat when I started a few weeks ago and I am still there! I rinse my filter out twice a day. It is pretty dirty. Do I just keep on keeping on? When I read the Shock Process steps it says add bleach, brush/vacuum and run pump 24/7. I test the FC, but have a hard time keeping the number to 24ppm. Maybe I am doing it wrong or something. I am putting one scoop of powder into 10ml of testing water. Swirling it to mix. Then adding drops until the water turns from pink to clear. Multiplying the total drops by .5. Is that right? Please help! My grandaughter wants to have her 6th birthday party at the pool in a few weeks!

Is your filter pressure rising twice a day? If not, why are you cleaning it? You only need to clean the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

If it is rising that fast, then it is capturing whatever is left in the water.

Sounds like you are testing correctly. Although at higher FC levels you may need a little more powder ... just make sure it starts with a nice deep pink.

I don't understand the filter pressure thing?? I have the Intex Cartridge Filter Pump, I thought the pressure thing was only for sand filter pumps? I just take the filter out, rinse it, empty the canister of dirty water, (where the cartridge goes) , put the filter back in, turn the knob on top to release the air and refill the canister of water, then turn the pump back on. I know the filter is working because the water in the canister and the filter are both really dirty. That's why I rinse it twice a day. Maybe I don't have too, but I thought it would work better if it stays clean. So as far as testing the FC, if one scoop of powder turns the 10ml pink, do I just stay with the one scoop? There isn't much powder in that little thing is there? I am just ready to see a difference in the water color! Want to see the bottom of my pool at least! I bought Wanda the Whale, but I don't want to put her in until the water is clear enough to see her!

Don't you have a pressure gauge on your filter? That tells you when you need to clean it ... same with all types of filters.

If 1 scoop turns it a deep pink, that is enough. Usually there are a few crystals on the bottom that do not dissolve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, that is one of the many problems with the junk cartridge filters that intex includes in their packages. One of the other problems is exactly what you are experiencing with having to clean it continuously...but at least in your case, you are catching stuff. When I was using an intex filter on my very small intex popup pool (which I replaced quickly), I would clean it when the flow reduced by approximately 1/2.

I never noticed a pressure gauge on my pump, but I will certainly check. I went home for lunch and tested to get some numbers to show you. Here they are just for the heck of it:

FC 7.0 (that is AFTER putting 3 gallons of bleach late yesterday evening!)
CC .5
pH 7.6
TA 300
CH 70
CYA 40

the water is still a cloudy blue. when collected, it is clear, but looking into the pool it is cloudy blue

My husband is off today and is going to walk around in the pool and sweep. Hopefully we can get it cleared up. I also wanted to ask you if part of my problem could be the SWG. I don't have it running, but it is hooked up to my pump. Could that possibly contribute to the hold up of getting it cleared up? Probably a dumb question, but worth asking.

mimidjets said:
I also wanted to ask you if part of my problem could be the SWG. I don't have it running, but it is hooked up to my pump. Could that possibly contribute to the hold up of getting it cleared up? Probably a dumb question, but worth asking.
Shouldn't be a problem.

Remember to keep your FC at or slightly above your shocking value of 15 ppm to continue to make progress.

Ok thanks. I guess I am doing it right then, I just have to keep cleaning the filter, sweeping/vacuuming and maintaining the FC until it decides to get clear. The filters I am using, I am getting from Lowe's. They are the Sea Scapes size B. Do you recommend something else? Just alot of work and getting expensive with all the bleach and filters I am having to buy! :hammer:

I am afraid I am going to bleach out my liner. Is that possible with the large amounts of bleach I am putting in? Would that keep me from seeing clear water? The water is a pretty blue when looking down into the pool. It starts getting cloudy about 10 or so inches from the top of the water. I think at the end of this season I am going to start draining and start fresh each summer. I have spent so much $$$ buying bleach, I could have paid to refill! I just at the point of: Will it ever clear up??? Now I am dealing with rain! Won't that affect the bleach I have already put in? Is there any sense in putting more in until after the rains are over? Sorry about all the questions, just don't know what to do! Wish you guys lived in my town, I would just get you over to get me going!! LOL

JB covered the liner question. As for the rest, just have patience. You are doing it correctly, but you have to give the filter time to work.

As for the drain and refill every year, you can certainly do that. However, once you get to maintenance mode, I think you'll see quickly how easy it is to keep a pool clean, and then when you know how to properly close it in the fall, you'll open to maintenance mode.

Clearing a swamp requires a ton of time and patience. Once it's clear, you will spend a fraction of the time you've spent already on the entire rest of the summer.

I looked over all the posts in this thread.....seems to me you started trying to shock your pool on the 9th, but didn't really get going till the 15th. Which would mean you haven't been shocking your pool for a full week yet (even though it might feel like forever and i read where you started thinking about getting it cleaned up over a month ago).

Another thing i noticed was how much you have learned so far, congrats you are getting there and once you get it all down you'll be very happy!

You mentioned buying filters....i'm curious as to why? I can understand having two, so that you can just swap them out when one needs to be cleaned. How are you cleaning them? You can squirt them off with a hose, but if you find they aren't getting as clean as when they were new you should soak them, perhaps overnight.

Have you read this yet? re-how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

Go read it all, but here is the basic info

What is the procedure to clean my cartridge?

Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer's instructions.
Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.
Rinse until all dirt and debris are gone.
For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.
Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.
If the filter has a coating of alage, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops. WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.
Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.