Can you get too big of a salt cell?

Eers75

Bronze Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Parkersburg, WV
I'm in my research stage of buying a new FG pool. The pool I'm looking at is 19kgal. The PB is putting a AquaRite 25k in the bid for the pool. I see in the spec sheet that its suppose to cover 15-30k gal. Most of the post on here seem to say you should always buy the next size up SG. My question is if I raise up to the AquaRite 40k could I possible hurt any thing? Just trying to make sure it's not like a heater / AC for your house where it's never good to buy too big of a unit. You need to find the sweet spot where it's not cycling on and off all the time.

Mike

Nope, that will work great and let you run your pump less because it will make more chlorine in the same amount of time. I have a 40k SWG and 20k pool and it works great.

You can always turn the control down on the SWG, or just run it for less time. Just so you know, many of the ratings (in gallons) that they put on SWGs are based on running it and your pump 24 hours a day. Not exactly what you want to do.

As others have said, its a good idea to go larger. My SWG is rated for up to 52,000 gallons for my 19,000 gallon pool. Larger means yo can run it at lower power and.or less time, and it will last longer. It also means that you can generate larger amounts of chlorine when needed - after a large party or someone has an accident. My original SWG the PB installed was rated for 20,000 and it worked for a while, but once summer fully hit, it could not keep up, even running 24/7 at 100%.

...and as long as you're not planning to move in the next 5 years, your total costs with the 40K cell will be better. It also matches up fine with the pump running on low or high speed.

SWGs can be dialed down which is like having a smaller air conditioner most of the time, but a big one when it's needed or convenient.

...and as long as you're not planning to move in the next 5 years, your total costs with the 40K cell will be better. It also matches up fine with the pump running on low or high speed.

SWGs can be dialed down which is like having a smaller air conditioner most of the time, but a big one when it's needed or convenient.
The comparison with an air conditioner is imperfect. You don't want an AC unit that is too much larger than needed. It will run in very short cycles and do a poor job of dehumidifying. But you are correct that an oversized SWG is never a problem.

Nope, that will work great and let you run your pump less because it will make more chlorine in the same amount of time. I have a 40k SWG and 20k pool and it works great.

I'm trying to finalize my equipment with the PB (hopefully tomorrow). Our pool and spa will be approximately 1000k - 1100k gallons. The PB has spec'd the IC20 and I'm asking the cost to up it to the IC40. He tells me that the IC20 is what is the correct size for my pool. I have tried to articulate that what I've read here that the large cell will have to run half as long, extending the cell life and I would guess electricity.

My question is, if we proceed with the IC20, in the future can I simply replace the salt cell with the 40, or do need a new housing/equipment to fit the larger cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool size is 11000 gallons right? If so, get the IC40. Tell them that is what you want. I have a 6000 gallon pool with the IC40. Overkill, yes.

If you get the IC20, you will be able to replace just the cell with the IC40. The power supply housed in the EasyTouch is the same for both.

But realize, you will be running the IC20 14 hours or more a day during June, July, and August. At 100% output.

Take care.

Y,

The power supply for the IC20, IC40, and IC60 is the same, so you can just buy a larger cell later..

That said, I'd want an IC40..

With a Pool and Spa, IntelliFlo and IC20 or IC40, I would 'assume' that you are also getting an EasyTouch automation system.. If this is true, please make sure your PB installs a 'real' EasyTouch and not one of the cheaper 'lite' models.. They do not have a load center, have limited pump speed control, and few functions... As I like to say.. "If its 'lite'.. it just does not taste right..." :p Also, if you are getting the Easytouch, make sure it has the built-in SWCG power supply... you do not want the stand alone SWCG power supply..

Here is a good example... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520545. EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Control System. Pentair 520545.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Y,

The power supply for the IC20, IC40, and IC60 is the same, so you can just buy a larger cell later..

That said, I'd want an IC40..

With a Pool and Spa, IntelliFlo and IC20 or IC40, I would 'assume' that you are also getting an EasyTouch automation system.. If this is true, please make sure your PB installs a 'real' EasyTouch and not one of the cheaper 'lite' models.. They do not have a load center, have limited pump speed control, and few functions... As I like to say.. "If its 'lite'.. it just does not taste right..." :p Also, if you are getting the Easytouch, make sure it has the built-in SWCG power supply... you do not want the stand alone SWCG power supply..

Here is a good example... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520545. EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Control System. Pentair 520545.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Marty and Jim,

What the PB currently has spec'd is the Pentair Easytouch 8SC-IC20 Pool/Spa control w/ Salt, 520544 - Screenlogic iPhone/Android control, 522104 - Includes wireless connection kit ($2,823.48).

I will be getting that changed the 520545. Though I wonder about Jim's reference to "lite". Are there EasyTouch 8SC that have a model number that would let me know it's "lite"?

Regarding the 40 running for notably shorter times during our freakishly hot summers, I imagine that would help the electricity bill as well.

Again —— ya'all are the best!
York

Y,

Here is a link to the 520544, with the IC20... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520544. EasyTouch 8SC-IC20 Control System. Pentair 520544.

I too would move up to the 520545 with the IC40..

It is not a 'lite' unit.. Lite units have an 'L' in the model number like PL4 or PSL4, etc..

You will love SceenLogic2... it makes programming and using the ET about 10 x easier than using the little 3" LCD display on the main panel...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.