Can this apply to the Business World?

jdgreenwood2

In The Industry
Jan 30, 2019
Myrtle Beach SC
Let me start of by saying i have started a small residential pool cleaning company. I am not here to promote my business, but to get honest answers. I have read almost everything on this site several times (including the forums). Let just say my 9-5 job is rather boring and slow lol. So my question/questions are can this be applied to the weekly service cleaner or is this something that needs to be handled everyday as far as testing. We all know that this method works best for the individual taking care of their own pool, but lets face it some people don't want to. So i want to be the company that tries to get the homeowner more involved and more knowledgeable (I am out to promote my Name not how many customers and bad reviews I have). I guess in short can this method work on a weekly basis and how difficult would it be to keep up with. Any suggestion or comments would greatly be appreciated!!

Reactions: s0ulsurfr
I guess in short can this method work on a weekly basis and how difficult would it be to keep up with.
Hi JD and welcome! :wave: Yes, TFP methods can work well for those who are only available to the pool once or twice a week. The most important factor there however is consistant chlorination that is equal to the demands required for the current stabilizer (CYA) level. For those who are on the go, we typically recommend automated chlorination via an SWG or stenner pump device. Other than that, the TFP principles still apply. My only disclaimer here is that there may be some industry requirements that take precedence based on the pool being managed. For that I'll let others in the industry speak up. :)

That were my though exactly, which all customers would be recommend to have or get a SWG. So essintial i would need to make sure their SWG (or whatever method they are using) is producing enough FC to suit their CYA levels (as well as everything else is balanced). I plan on only servicing residential pools so i don't need to deal with DHEC untill that law changes anyway which i have heard might change soon???

I have had a weekly pool service for 20 years, but have only been using the TFP method for two. I have just over 50 pools, where only one is a SWG. The site has really changed the way I do pools and makes my previous 18 years seem mediocre. I see what you mean about it being boring. I felt that way too before TFP. Now doing my routes are actually fun. Maintaining CSI, knowing the relationship between chemicals isn't something many pool technicians know about. A lot of companies buy from people who are retiring and are taught to add this and that with no context. It is what happened to my dad, who then taught me this drop and dash way of business.

I feel ashamed about my previous years because thanks to TFP, I feel like I knew nothing, which I did not. Over a dozen of my clients saw a change in the way I did their pools and gave me a raise on their own. I definately owe a lot to this site and need to become a supporter sooner than later. So you definitely ask a great question and the answer is a definite yes. Not only can you use the TFP method but it will turn you into a pro. I think just knowing all these things causes you to care for each Pool as if it were your own. That's how I feel anyway.

I have said some things on this site in the past that wasn't agreed with about weekly chlorine consumption. I stated that all of my pools only lose about 4.5ppm of chlorine a week. With only on rare occasions does one lose over 10ppm. Given I have only been using the TFP method for two years a large majority of my pools have a CYA level of 120 so the chlorine stays around 14ppm. When it drifts to 10ppm or 12ppm I will add 64oz or so depending on the pools volume and next week it wIll be 12 again.

Speaking of pool volume. You would be surprised how many pool companies don't even measure your pool and just guess what the amount is. What happens is those I have spoke to keep their CYA at 100 but everything else at county regulation. That being FC at 3, etc so they are constantly buying buckets of algae kill. I have tried to explain it many times but it's like I am speaking a different language to them. All this being said. If my clients had the budget. I'd definitely give them a salt system. It would certainly allow me to go down on my prices.

I want to note that most of my pools are shaded for most of the day and I in no way intend to debunk what's been written here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leebo
I have had a weekly pool service for 20 years, but have only been using the TFP method for two. I have just over 50 pools, where only one is a SWG. The site has really changed the way I do pools and makes my previous 18 years seem mediocre. I see what you mean about it being boring. I felt that way too before TFP. Now doing my routes are actually fun. Maintaining CSI, knowing the relationship between chemicals isn't something many pool technicians know about. A lot of companies buy from people who are retiring and are taught to add this and that with no context. It is what happened to my dad, who then taught me this drop and dash way of business.

I feel ashamed about my previous years because thanks to TFP, I feel like I knew nothing, which I did not. Over a dozen of my clients saw a change in the way I did their pools and gave me a raise on their own. I definately owe a lot to this site and need to become a supporter sooner than later. So you definitely ask a great question and the answer is a definite yes. Not only can you use the TFP method but it will turn you into a pro. I think just knowing all these things causes you to care for each Pool as if it were your own. That's how I feel anyway.

I have said some things on this site in the past that wasn't agreed with about weekly chlorine consumption. I stated that all of my pools only lose about 4.5ppm of chlorine a week. With only on rare occasions does one lose over 10ppm. Given I have only been using the TFP method for two years a large majority of my pools have a CYA level of 120 so the chlorine stays around 14ppm. When it drifts to 10ppm or 12ppm I will add 64oz or so depending on the pools volume and next week it wIll be 12 again.

Speaking of pool volume. You would be surprised how many pool companies don't even measure your pool and just guess what the amount is. What happens is those I have spoke to keep their CYA at 100 but everything else at county regulation. That being FC at 3, etc so they are constantly buying buckets of algae kill. I have tried to explain it many times but it's like I am speaking a different language to them. All this being said. If my clients had the budget. I'd definitely give them a salt system. It would certainly allow me to go down on my prices.

I want to note that most of my pools are shaded for most of the day and I in no way intend to debunk what's been written here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well everything is percentages. Based on your level of CYA, It's 7.5% minimal then, 11% target, then 40% shock. Shock level can change based on what algae you're fighting. The amount of chlorine needed just gets higher and higher if you have a higher CYA level.

Last edited:
Gene Clean -- thank you for the feedback on how TFPC has helped you!

Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: Gene Clean
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.