Can(should) I build a versa flo bypass?

paddi

Jan 11, 2023
california
I’m re-building a pool – going from larger to smaller(<15K gallons). Also adding a heater, ozone and SWG(all Hayward) to my equipment which has a Hayward 1.85 THP VS pump and membrane filter. I don’t want to add control at this point. I read some of the discussions on how to do a bypass. I was thinking that with 2 3-ways valves, one on input and one on output of heater, I could effectively create a versa-flo like function. Ideally the flow rate of water thru the heater when not in use could be reduced to let’s say 10% by setting the 3W valves accordingly to allow only small portions of the flow in/out of the heater. Likely the heater will not be in use for the summer, which is 3-5 months here in Southern Cal. The companies with these pumps say that the reduced flow will prolong heater life by 3-5X. Will this work? Or maybe I just 100% bypass the heater for the summer?

On a related note, the heater will not fire when flow is below some number( about 1500GPM I believe). Can I use my VSP to effectively turn the heater on/off just by reducing the flow rate in the VSP? I could imagine a system where I remotely control the speed of the pump and the settings of the 3W bypass valves to reduce the flow thru the heater when the pump flow is below the minimum. Would the internal heater flow detection work if the heater is 90% bypassed?

I’m not a pool guy. But I am experienced doing code-legal DIY electrical and plumbing on multiple residential property re- builds. Any thoughts welcome.

You can use a 3-way in front of the heater and a check valve after. You run the risk of "dead-heading" the system with a manual valve after the heater.
Using the RPM of the pump to control the heater is NOT recommended for many reasons. For example, as the filter gets dirty the flow will change. (Your system is not capable of 1500gpm by the way, nor could the heater handle that flow). If you really want to remotely control the heater on/off without changing the temp setting, a simple "WiFi" switch to control power to the heater would work.

What is the desire for an Ozone device?

Maddie :flower:

You can use a 3-way in front of the heater and a check valve after. You run the risk of "dead-heading" the system with a manual valve after the heater.
Using the RPM of the pump to control the heater is NOT recommended for many reasons. For example, as the filter gets dirty the flow will change. (Your system is not capable of 1500gpm by the way, nor could the heater handle that flow). If you really want to remotely control the heater on/off without changing the temp setting, a simple "WiFi" switch to control power to the heater would work.
My bad on 1500....its RPM, not GPM. I found several threads on bypass. The check valve makes sense as single 3-wya will control input(and thus output) to heater. Based on other discussions, will also add a flow switch for additional safety. thanks for input

What is the desire for an Ozone device?

Maddie :flower:
im senstive to chlorine...makes me sneeze. I heard(read?) that required chlorine levels can be reduced with ozone. Your reference suggests that is not true. I'll do a bit more research. Most likely I will go without the Ozone to start...just leave a spot in the plumbing to add if desired later...if aI add a spa. thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.