Can (possible) plumbing leak be repaired without jackhammering

otherchuck

Aug 27, 2012
Greetings,

My wife and I have a approx 12'x24' fiberglass pool, that was installed about 15 yrs ago. For some time now, I have been suspicious that there could be a leak in the plumbing (doubt it is in the pool itself) because I am losing more water than I think should be the case due to evaporation alone. We have a pool cover, so that I presume should minimize evaporation, but there is a tear in the cover and water seeps up thru that and evaporates; we will be replacing that cover very shortly, and I will assess the evaporation issue more at that time, when I know that no water is escaping thru a rip.

The pool is next to a hill, and there are no suspicious damp spots anywhere in the vicinity that I have observed. Eventually I will call a leak detection service, but was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of what to expect? Do they look through the pipes with some kind of camera-scope? How can they tell if there is a slight leak at a pipe join (I would imagine most leaks would be nearly invisible unless you see roots coming through)? Most importantly, how do they repair a leak? Do they have to jackhammer and dig down to the pipes, or do they have some magic way of introducing some epoxy coating into the pipes (Like "Fix-a-Flat" stops slow leaks in car tires)?

I would imagine the costs of jackhammering and digging would be so astronomical, that we might just choose to live with a slow leak in perpetuity, but we'll more carefully address that question as it arises.

Anyway, thanks in advance for letting me know how slow plumbing leaks (if we indeed have one) are generally identified and repaired!

Otherchuck

Look though this site to see the type of tools a leak detection company can have…

There are companies that detect leaks and tell you where they think they are but do not do the repairs.

Do you have a SWCG? Do you monitor your CYA and CH monthly? What is the CH of your fill water?

If you have a leak, your salinity will go down if you have a SWCG. Your CH will fall or not climb depending on your fill water CH.

You can try a bucket test and an equipment runtime test (Swimming Pool Leak Testing Methods | ASP - America's Swimming Pool Company)

I've seen it work about 80% of the time if you follow the directions exactly.
I've had similar success with it. It works sometimes, but can also fail. There's another product that uses a 2 part mixture but you need a special setup for it. PipeFuze

As far as fixing, it depends where it is. If everything is under concrete then more than likely some will need to be removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.