Can Ozone effect my CYA level??

tbmike

Nov 3, 2018
cypress, texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I am new to pool ownership. I have a new (8/18) ozone assisted 15000 gallon outdoor pool with an attached spa. The pool and spa has been used about 20 total hours since the completion. The person count in the pool has only been over 4 a couple of times. The person count in the spa has only been over 2 a couple of times as well.

My question is this: Can the ozone generator be causing my Cyanuric Acid levels to become high (110) as the last sampling. Since there is minimal activity, and my area has had limited sunshine and lots of rain in the last month, I am wondering if that is the problem. My pool circulates 12 hours a day. 8 hours during the sunny time of day and 4 hours in late evening to early morning.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ozone won't increase cyanuric acid. If anything, it might degrade the cyanuric acid but probably not by much in most cases.

Cyanuric acid comes from adding cyanuric acid, trichlor or dichlor.

The big question is how did you measure your CYA level? If this is a pool store result, I would question its accuracy. I suggest you get a proper test kit like the TF-100 (above/below links) and accurately measure all of your vital pool levels. The key to a health and happy pool experience is a proper test kit.

Test Kits

I use 1'' tabs and I now know that I used waaaayyyyy more than is required to maintain. I have since learned a lot more about chlorine dispensing. My pool school was apparently lacking in details. LOL I now know that I don't have to fill the chlorinator up everytime it is empty!!

My test results were from an analysis done in store by Leslie"s Pool supply. The sample was taken from 2 feet below the water surface in a container provided by Leslie's.

Also...my pool is only 4 feet deep all the way across.

I use 1'' tabs and I now know that I used waaaayyyyy more than is required to maintain. I have since learned a lot more about chlorine dispensing. My pool school was apparently lacking in details. LOL I now know that I don't have to fill the chlorinator up everytime it is empty!!

My test results were from an analysis done in store by Leslie"s Pool supply. The sample was taken from 2 feet below the water surface in a container provided by Leslie's.

Also...my pool is only 4 feet deep all the way across.

Ah - ok then the result is suspect. Get a proper test kit and do the test yourself. You could take that to Leslie's 10 times and get 10 wildly different results.

Using Trichlor tablets as the exclusive form of chlorine addition is not likely a sustainable plan in TX.

You need to add chlorine every day, best to use bleach or a SWG that do not have the side effects of adding CH or CYA ... neither of which you want to build up in your location.

Mike,

Since you are gone a lot, the best thing for you to do would be to convert to a saltwater pool and use a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).

A SWCG will generate chlorine whether you are home or not. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Mike,

I'm in Cypress also and just put a new pool in our new house in Bridgeland. Luckily I had been a TFP follower prior to this build and installed a saltwater chlorine generator from the get-go.

First thing is first, order a TF-100 test kit and only use Leslie's for pool floats and odds and ends - but do not use them to test your water. I can help if needed as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for this info! I will look into the SWCG option. I may just bite the bullet and use one of the many services available until I can do it myself.
The problem you are going to have is that weekly services depend on more tabs and granular shock. They are just going to drive your CYA higher.

Thank you all for this info! I will look into the SWCG option. I may just bite the bullet and use one of the many services available until I can do it myself.

I put a SWCG in my neighbor's pool this year. Took about 2 hours total start to finish electrical and plumbing. Worked fantastic for him this season its the cleanest his water has been.

My CYA went from 110 to 80 within 4 days with nothing done but stopped circulation for 24 hours then filled the pool from the bottom and overflowed for 12 hours.

Again, you need your own CYA test kit! You cannot and should not rely on Leslie's for an accurate reading. You can send me a sample and I will test it for you if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.