Can not get pool clear

Sep 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I have a TF-100 test kit, I've tried to follow TFP for the past 8 years, try very hard not to go to a pool store. But I am perplexed and feel out of control.
We travel quite a bit and tend to keep our FC at about 10 to be sure we don't come home to a green pool. We were not successful most times the last 2 years and we are off to a bad start this year, without even leaving town.

We have quite a bit of organic material in our pool in the spring so I've been running the pump about 12 hours a day to try to keep it clean, but that does not seem to be helping. Both 3 weeks ago and again last week I SLAM'd the pool and it got better (not green but slightly cloudy). So last week, out of desperation, I added some of Phosphate remover and the pool looked really good. For about 4 days. Now today it is cloudy and green again. The chlorine levels have never come down to "normal levels", and I fear we have WAY over chlorinated the pool (no we aren't going in it).
The pool was last drained about a year ago.

Here are my numbers today:
PH 7.8
FC 45
CC 3
TC 48
CYA 70
Alkalinity 110

Help?

What type of organic material? How long are you usually gone? When is the last time you had a deep cleaning of your sand filter? And brushing a pool may be just as important as adding chlorine and keeping them at the correct levels. How many returns, skimmers and main drains?

From the first half of your post that I read it does not sound like you actually followed the SLAM Process process
Not sure what you mean, but yes, follow the SLAM process after it goes green while we are gone. I was just mentioning that we normally keep it high before we go just in case that information meant something.

- - - Updated - - -

The chlorine test chemicals were bought new last year, always stored indoors.

- - - Updated - - -

What type of organic material? How long are you usually gone? When is the last time you had a deep cleaning of your sand filter? And brushing a pool may be just as important as adding chlorine and keeping them at the correct levels. How many returns, skimmers and main drains?

We have many trees, lots of leaves, flowers in the spring. We are gone from 4 days to 3 weeks, it varies. If longer than 4 days, we do have someone to come check on it 2-3x per week, but he has the same trouble we do. It will look great for 10 days, then on the 11th day it is cloudy, and the 12th day it is green.

I don't suppose I've ever done a deep cleaning of the sand filter. I'll search the forums on how to do this. The pool is brushed multiple times per week

We have two main drains, one skimmer, and 17 pop-ups. Also have a drain that recirculates the fountain.

With your time being away I would strongly suggest a SWCG. We travel often too. SWCG keeps things all good. Someone still needs to check skimmer basket and add acid every once in a while.

Take care.

You said you slammed (slam is not a verb the way we use it) until the water went cloudy. If it was still cloudy, you did not finish the process. That is what I was trying to understand ... do you follow the entire process?

Here are my numbers today:
PH 7.8
FC 45
CC 3
TC 48
CYA 70
Alkalinity 110

Help?

PH is on the high end of the scale of 7.2 to 7.8 TA is a tad high of the scale at 110 but not bad normal range of 60-120 ppm. Your CYA for a non salt water generated pool you want the range to be between 30-50. Anything above 50 ppm and yeah you are going to have to SHOCK/SLAM at higher levels. Your CYA of 70 your FC SLAM level is FC 28.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You may want to drain 1/3 and refill to get your CYA down to 50 it 40. Your CC or combined chlorine or Chloramines are high. Ideally you want it at 0.5 or lower. So your free chlorine is working on the CC or the organics in your pool.

Algae can hide in a lot of places, behind ladders, steps, jets, pool lights, pop up heads, etc.

As other members indicated you may want to do a deep clean of your sand filter to reset your sand from channeling, and clear any potential dead organics and algae you may have in your filter. Keep up the SLAM and investigate deep cleaning your sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.