Can I wire my lights individually? Aqualink RS4

If you will never want the light on by itself, then you can power the switch from the relay so that it comes on when the other lights come on and you can use the switch to turn the individual light off.

If you will want to be able to turn the light on by itself, then you would not go through the relay.

The main reason for wanting to control the tanning ledge light is when we sit outside at night, off to the side of the pool, that light bounces off the shallow water into our eyes. I’ve tried finding a shield to deflect the light down, but can’t find anything suitable for a pool light.
If you put this as a separate switch (not part of AquaLink) you can put a smart switch on it such as Leviton or Wemo (2 I am familiar with). It will be an extra app but it will provide independent control yet can be done from your phone. You will need to have it in a weatherproof enclosure as it will be by your equipment pad.

Reactions: Midnightblue
Something is wrong with a system that has 4 relays and 4 valves and only 4 buttons to control 8 things.

Seems like poorly designed software.

So, you have two spare relays, but you can't use them and you have to start using alternative automation to make everything work.

Something is wrong with a system that has 4 relays and 4 valves and only 4 buttons to control 8 things.

Seems like poorly designed software.

So, you have two spare relays, but you can't use them and you have to start using alternative automation to make everything work.

That's Jandy for you. They want you to pay more for the 8 button version so you can use all the capabilities.

Value pricing by restricting capability on a standard product.

Lots of companies are putting in software switches to enable additional features if you just pay more. Coming to your automobile real soon.

Reactions: HermanTX
The system says 4 relays and 4 valves.

But, you can't control all of them?

That's just stupid.

If it says that you get something included with an automation package, that implies that the automation can actually control the included items.

What is the point of including items that the automation can't control?

1633965201346.png

Reactions: Midnightblue
The system says 4 relays and 4 valves.

But, you can't control all of them?

That's just stupid.

If it says that you get something included with an automation package, that implies that the automation can actually control the included items.

What is the point of including items that the automation can't control?

View attachment 377294

Aqualink controls relays based on aux ports. JVAs do not require a relay, but they do require an aux port. It would be better if they simply said 4 "things".

"Pump, Heater, & 3 Aux" - 1 relay for the pump, 1 relay for the heater, 1 relay for lights, etc.

It would be better if they just wrote the software to work like people want it to work.

The valves should be controllable from a "Feature" circuit like Pentair does.

It's a simple software change.

I completely agree. To have to replace hardware for an additional capacity of 2 more circuits is poor design. Should be a simple license pack to increase capacity.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you will never want the light on by itself, then you can power the switch from the relay so that it comes on when the other lights come on and you can use the switch to turn the individual light off.

If you will want to be able to turn the light on by itself, then you would not go through the relay.
I think my game plan is to just put a single pole switch after the transformer (leading to the lights) and then control it that way. Seems to just be the easiest way at the moment. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.