Can I wire GFCI to Aux Relay for landscape transformer

Drewb4

Jul 26, 2019
Bolton, MA
Hi Guys--
I am wondering if you can tell me if this situation will work.

Landscapers plugged a Dauer low voltage transformer for landscape lights into the GFCI outlet on the Pentair Easytouch. The GFCI is powered by a single non-GFI protected breaker in the load center-- doesn't go through any relays or anything. We do have a second outlet wired in at a secondary location some distance from the panel which is protected via the GFCI outlet at the ET.

My question is can I wire from the Line/Load on the GFCI to an unused Aux relay, and then directly wire the transformer to the relay? Would that still provide GFCI protection to the 2nd outlet and the relay? I just want to control the landscape lights through the ET via a feature circuit

Thx
-D

Yes, you wire the hot wire from the LOAD side of the GFCI outlet to the Aux relay, and then directly wire the transformer to the relay. You connect the neutral wire from the transformer directly to the LOAD side of the GFCI outlet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.