Can I use Trichlor 53% packet to shock?

Apr 4, 2017
Prosper/ TX
Can I use Trichlor 53% packet to shock? The 1lb packets of “shock” is what I’m referring to. I may possibly noticed a slight yellow discoloration near the edges and don’t know if it’s beginning of some type of algae. Swim lessons start tomorrow at my house. Looking for a quick shock to try to kill anything that may be there.

You have a proper test kit. Use it. Do a SLAM Process. It does not prohibit swimming. As long as your FC is above minimum and at or below the SLAM level based on your CYA it fine to go swimming. As long as you can see the bottom of the deep end.

Trying to use Trichlor to SLAM is like shooting a BB at a moving train. Use liquid chlorine.

Take care.

Granular "shock" is too slow acting due to the time to dissolve. Use liquid.

Plus, a one time "shock" is not the way to eliminate algae. You perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to verify the presence or absence of organics growing in the water. If you FAIL the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test then something is in fact growing and you need to perform the entire SLAM Process process. A one time addition of "shock" is not the way we teach to eliminate organics in the water.

FC above minimum but below SLAM? If it’s below the SLAM level, then am I still in the SLAM process? Cya is 60, fc is 7. Slam level is 24. So I need to keep the slam level of 24 for a couple days right? And that’s safe for swimmers?
You need to keep it at SLAM level until you pass all three criteria to end a SLAM Process

CC is 0.5 or lower;

You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);

The water is clear, including no visible algae.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

It's safe to swim at any level below SLAM

Sure. The active chlorine in the pool with 24 ppm FC with 60 CYA is less than that in a public pool with 2 ppm FC and 0 CYA.

I would suggest taking our FC to SLAM in the morning. Then have your swim lessons. After they are done, take your FC back to SLAM.

You are actually killing algae anytime you are above minimum FC. It just takes alot longer to clear the pool.

The only effect you might notice is if you are fighting alot of algae, you might smell 'chlorine' which is the CC from the chlorine killing the algae.

You can see the bottom of the deep end, right?

Yes I can see the bottom fine. Water isn’t cloudy at all. I think I’ve noticed about a 1ppm fc drop overnight, but I’ll be honest I haven’t checked it prior to the sun coming up. About 8 am is the earliest I’ve done. It seems like I may have a tint of yellowish tone on a couple surfaces. View attachment 79408View attachment 79409

- - - Updated - - -

So I can raise to slam levels tonight or early tomorrow, let it ride through the afternoon during lessons, then kick it back up afterwards? Basically make sure it’s at slam levels except for the lesson time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should disconnect the Ozone device. It consume FC while doing nothing for water chemistry in a positive way. That may be your loss overnight if you are leaving your pump on as you should when doing a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Pic wouldn’t load up.
Wasn’t sure if I needed it or not, but I believe my first slam is complete. Couldn’t tell if I had beginning of yellow tinted algae or bad pollen build up. Didn’t brush for couple weeks. Took FC to 24 per cya of 60 for 2 days. Today it’s 22 after a couple hours sunlight, CC is 0, and pool is clear and don’t see the yellow tint around the edges. I did brush several times during the 2 days. Glad I did it though. Now to backwash and vacuum one more time. Thanks for all the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.