Can I use my Dolphin during slam-ing of the pool?

CamiS

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2022
Massachusetts
We have drained and replaced 1/2 of our pool water to fix our CYA level. Pool was clean looking before (and now), no visible issues with algae... I'm starting SLAM-ing the pool tonight and I don't know - can I use my Dolphin (Nautilus CC Plus) during the SLAM or will the high % of chlorine damage it?

I would say nobody knows and Maytronics gives no guidance and has probably not tested it.

You can do it but why risk an expensive device?

I have, many others have as well - it is safe to swim at fc levels up to slam for your cya as the cya binds some of the active chlorine. This is a use at your own risk tolerance situation. Maytronics says max chlorine level of 4ppm. They make no mention of cya nor the fc/cya relationship.
My fc level is NEVER 4ppm or below as my cya is generally 60-80ppm.
My bot lives in the pool pretty much all season.
This holds true for most TFP users yet many have dolphin cleaners & use them daily.
I generally don’t dose to slam level & throw the robot in - i let it fall a little & run it just before the next dose. I also use care to not pour liquid chlorine or any chems with it in the pool.

I have, many others have as well - it is safe to swim at fc levels up to slam for your cya as the cya binds some of the active chlorine. This is a use at your own risk tolerance situation. Maytronics says max chlorine level of 4ppm. They make no mention of cya nor the fc/cya relationship.
My fc level is NEVER 4ppm or below as my cya is generally 60-80ppm.
My bot lives in the pool pretty much all season.
This holds true for most TFP users yet many have dolphin cleaners & use them daily.
I generally don’t dose to slam level & throw the robot in - i let it fall a little & run it just before the next dose. I also use care to not pour liquid chlorine or any chems with it in the pool.
That's why I asked ... I was under impression people use them at higher than 4ppm (which will be our minimum , too ... we emptied more than half of the pool but could only get it down to 60ish - waiting for it to finish refilling now to know the exact level; in any case our FC will have to stay above 4 if my understanding is correct...)

From my own experience with a Dolphin robot and having done a deep dive into trying to fix the motor assembly without dropping $450 on a new one, I will say this -

DO NOT leave the robot in the pool 24/7. Use It to clean and then pull it out right away and rinse it off. The motor assemblies are built in such a way that they are cheap to manufacture but highly susceptible to water leaking into them. Leaving them in the pool all the time only increases the risk of a catastrophic leak.

Your robot and your pool so you do what you feel is best. Some people are ok with dropping $1000 every 5 years to replace an old or dead robot … I am not, hence my suggestion above.

Reactions: Jcsmith9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.