Can I trust my results?

EDW

May 18, 2018
Russell Springs, KY
After some heavy usage on Saturday (bunch of teenagers for my niece's sweet 16) and Monday (labor day, about a dozen small children and a bunch of teenagers/adults), my pool is looking less than stellar. Cloudy and was fighting off some green earlier this week (my fault, I was exhausted Monday when everybody left and didn't get around to chemistry/chemicals until Tuesday afternoon - chlorine was zero). Been hitting the bleach heavy this week to try and clear things up.

I have a 6 way HTH liquid test kit and the Clorox strips you can scan with your phone. I rely on the liquid kit for daily tests. It's not as precise as I'd like it to be. Liquid measurements as follows...

Chlorine 5-10 range
PH between 7.2 and 7.5
Alkalinity 110
CYA 2 weeks ago 60

Those numbers don't bother me, but I occasionally use one of the strips because they measure TC and FC separately. Strip today shows total chlorine at 10 and free chlorine at 5. If those numbers are accurate, I've obviously got an issue I need to deal with. But can I trust the strips? If so, I know I need to bring that number down, but will the pool be safe for swimming in the near term? We're supposed to be hosting yet another teenage birthday party tomorrow, so super chlorination to break up the CC is not workable. It does not start until late afternoon, so I have a little time to come up with a solution.

Appreciate any advice you may have.

You cannot trust test strips. They are worse then guessing. Best thing you can do is throw them in the trash.

You need to get one of our recommended test kits. The TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. You need the FAS/DPD chlorine test so you can test FC above 10 ppm.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Your pool sounds reasonably safe for your party tomorrow.

To fight algae you have to follow the SLAM Process. With CYA 60 your SLAM FC is 24. See FC/CYA Levels

So while you say you are hitting the bleach heavily you have no way to measure that FC level. Get the test kit and follow the SLAM Process.

My only advice here is to get one of two test kits supported by the forum, they are the Taylor-K2006C and the TF-100. Armed with the results from those tests you can post the results here and the experts can guide you to a resolution.

Personally I ordered the K-2006C but if I had to do it again I would have ordered the TF-100.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.