Can I set my AGP "close" to a wall that drops down on the other side?

Bill24601

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2022
Las Vegas
I've spent multiple weeks reading the forums and working on leveling the ground (<-- I know, the most important part :)). In my reading, I ran across someone's post that has me a little concerned. She mentioned something about being close to a wall and that the rule of thumb is to be X amount of feet away from the wall, based on the height of your pool, etc.. I haven't heard of this before and haven't been able to find much more information!

My question to you all: Is there any concern with the future location of my pool? i.e. would the weight of the pool cause the ground underneath to push the wall out into the street??
  1. Height of wall in my backyard: ~4'
  2. Height of wall on the other side (drops to a 4-way intersection): ~10'
  3. Anticipated distance from wall to nearest pool wall: ~4.5'
  4. Pool brand/size: Intex Ultra XTR Rectangular 18' x 9' x 52"
  5. Earth/Soil type: Las Vegas
  6. See attached photo

Attachments

• Dividing wall 4ft vs 10ft.jpg
    Dividing wall 4ft vs 10ft.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 40
Yes, that's correct: if I'm standing on top of the wall, it's only a 4' drop into my yard. But going down the other way, it's 10' to the sidewalk. I definitely don't want to fill my pool, only to have the wall go crashing down onto people/cars! :/

Retaining walls over usually over 4ft tall (if they are built correctly) need to be permitted which includes a process of taking into account the loads involved. Generally you don’t want to add a huge amount of weight any closer to the wall than the height of the wall. That’s a general rule of thumb unless the wall builder specifically planned for it. Kinda also depends on how big your pool will be. Water weight is easy to calculate.

Retaining walls over usually over 4ft tall (if they are built correctly) need to be permitted which includes a process of taking into account the loads involved. Generally you don’t want to add a huge amount of weight any closer to the wall than the height of the wall. That’s a general rule of thumb unless the wall builder specifically planned for it. Kinda also depends on how big your pool will be. Water weight is easy to calculate.
The pool holds ~4,500 gallons of water (Google says, "37,854 pounds". I doubt that the builder took into account a possible AGP when the house was built 30 years ago, but I do know that two houses down the street have an in-ground pool, that essentially share the same wall. (but perhaps their walls were reinforced... ?)

I can't move 10' away from the wall; I don't have enough room. How much of a gamble am I taking by putting in the pool? Like, "you're an idiot if you do it" or, "it should be okay; just monitor closely for the first month and you should be fine."

The pool holds ~4,500 gallons of water (Google says, "37,854 pounds". I doubt that the builder took into account a possible AGP when the house was built 30 years ago, but I do know that two houses down the street have an in-ground pool, that essentially share the same wall. (but perhaps their walls were reinforced... ?)

I can't move 10' away from the wall; I don't have enough room. How much of a gamble am I taking by putting in the pool? Like, "you're an idiot if you do it" or, "it should be okay; just monitor closely for the first month and you should be fine."
I think you only have to keep it 6ft away as that’s how high above the sidewalk that your dirt is sitting? Or do I not see that right?

I think you only have to keep it 6ft away as that’s how high above the sidewalk that your dirt is sitting? Or do I not see that right?
Yes, that sounds right. The wall is 10' total, and from the top of the wall to the top of my yard is 4'. Therefore, 6' from the top of my yard to the sidewalk should be correct.

UGH. After weeks of leveling and hours and hours of getting the pavers [almost] flush, I will need to move all of the pavers and then level the additional 2' that I need to move West.

However, that sounds like it's going to be the best thing to do at this point. Safety first, right?

Yes, that sounds right. The wall is 10' total, and from the top of the wall to the top of my yard is 4'. Therefore, 6' from the top of my yard to the sidewalk should be correct.

UGH. After weeks of leveling and hours and hours of getting the pavers [almost] flush, I will need to move all of the pavers and then level the additional 2' that I need to move West.

However, that sounds like it's going to be the best thing to do at this point. Safety first, right?
Assuming it’s a round pool? Much of the weight won’t be very close to the wall in that case, but anything you can do to keep it away from that wall will help.

Is the wall straight right now? The picture makes it look already bowed out toward the street but maybe it’s just the camera lens distorting it?

Assuming it’s a round pool? Much of the weight won’t be very close to the wall in that case, but anything you can do to keep it away from that wall will help.

Is the wall straight right now? The picture makes it look already bowed out toward the street but maybe it’s just the camera lens distorting it?
It's a rectangular pool (18' x 9'). And you're correct: it's just the camera lens distorting it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.