Can I replace the sand filter tank only?

temps

Gold Supporter
Jun 27, 2018
atlanta, ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello Y'all, I am experiencing sand leak out the bottom of my Hayward ProSeries S310T sand filter. I assume it is a crack in the tank, though it is less than 3 years old. Do I have to replace the entire filter unit, or is it possible to replace only the cracked tank? Here in the Atlanta area we were hoping to get another month of swimming this season.

We are assuming that it is a cracked tank from just an exterior examination, but have not yet taken it apart. The pool was installed Feb of 2018 - it is still quite new in my opinion, so we will take the advice of checking into warranty replacement after we have a look at the underneath as Texas Splash suggested. I had expected the filter would be good for at least 5-8 years. This is a learn-as-we-go process for new pool owners.
We are calling the Pool Installer over to have a look, but he is apparently not in any hurry to get here.
Thanks for the help.

We just heard back from our Pool Installer. Hayward is all backed up with production bcuz of slow downs due to Virus. Coupled with a SURGE in new pool installs... don't know when we can get a replacement tank or even a new unit. Yikes!
We are continuing to run circulation in the pool, but cannot filter it, so I expect we will have a green mess before this is over. Finished a SLAM just before the filter leaked, so FC is still on the high side w/CC reading @ .5, but I expcet vacuuming robot & wall brushing will soon not be enough to keep algae at bay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE: Hayward would NOT work with us or even answer any questions. They required that we go through a dealer. A month ago we *finally* had some communication from our original installer. He located a replacement tank and it was finally installed this past week. That was a total of 5 months. So far no problems with the new tank, so I think we are good; and he says it's covered by warranty, though we haven't yet received the bill for replacement labor & sand costs. We have a pic of the cracked seam.
The water never greened up with algae even though the temps have been too low (until very recently) for the SWG to generate chlorine. Liquid chlorine was added a few times. BTW, what temperature shuts off that SWG process? With some warm sun on the pool lately we are getting those irritating tiny bugs on the water surface, so I'm glad the SWG is working at least some days now. I am wondering how many weeks it will take to clear up the water, but we have added some DE to the filter now to speed up the process.
Including pic of crack, and cloudy unfiltered water (green is tree reflection).

Attachments

• cracked sand tank seam.jpeg
    cracked sand tank seam.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 12
  • robot cleaner 8 feet down.jpg
    robot cleaner 8 feet down.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 12
BTW, what temperature shuts off that SWG process?

If you have a Hayward cell...

COLD Water Temperature
  • The cell output reduces to 20% at 60°F and below if % is above 20%
  • The cell shuts off when water temperature at 50F and below
  • LCD displays COLD when water temperature is below 50F

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.