Can I reconnect this piece of loose coping?

roegs

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2012
We live in Minnesota, and our inground pool was installed in the late 80's. I have a short (~1 foot) piece of coping that has come loose and I'd like to find out the best way to re-support it. I tried to show in the photos (shutterfly link below) where the break occurred. In my case, the top of the coping has a lip that was supported by the concrete when the concrete sidewalks were poured around the pool. You can see that the top of the concrete has cracked away over the years allowing the top of the aluminum coping to pull away. The coping is still well anchored at the bottom (where its under the sidewalk) and still supports the liner as it should. I've cleaned out all the broken concrete and now wondering what to do next. Idea's so far:

1. A couple Tapcon screws into the face of the coping to pull the coping back flush with the concrete. The guy who has serviced my pool cover in the past (whom I respect) suggested that the tapcons could be problematic due to dissimilar metals where they contact the aluminum coping. Could be problematic in the long run.

2. Fill the void between coping and concrete sidewalk with self-leveling caulk and clamp it in place for a few days while it dries. My concern is that the self leveling caulk may not be strong enough to keep the coping from pulling away again. The pro of this solution is that it keeps water out of the gap between coping and concrete.

3. Same as above except use 2 part epoxy concrete patch to fill the void and keep the coping attached to the concrete. Again, I'm concerned that it may eventually pull away again.

https://pix.sfly.com/S-0OY7

Any other ideas? I keep thinking that some kind of mechanical fastener (such as tapcon) might be best, with the freeze - thaw cycles we have here, but am by no means any kind of expert on pool construction.

Welcome back to the forum! :handshake: Been a few years --

I think I would go with an epoxy or other material first. I am not a metallurgist but I could see that a TapCon could be an issue. Maybe stainless steel would be best? But with an epoxy it should work, at least for awhile. Something designed for pools / marine.

As it has been a number of years since you last posted, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Mknauss....thanks for the note and welcome. I'm kinda thinking the same of trying epoxy first. I've had good luck with epoxy in the past with other concrete repairs. I figure I can always try the tapcons is all else fails.

Deck heave popped / sheered the fasteners.

The concrete behind it needs to be removed, just a small section - enough to relieve pressure & create enough room to work.

Then the coping can be fastened to the wall panel.

Epoxy won’t do the deed. Driving screws or bolts into the coping face & concrete will bend the coping & lift it off the panel with the decks next seasonal float, taking the liner bead with it.

I suggest this gets restored before old ma winter comes to town.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.