Can I just use a combination of liquid chlorine and trichlor???

It disappears pretty fast in water with 0 FC and low dissolved oxygen. I suspect those of us who routinely see CYA disappear in the winter months have a combination of 0 FC and short pump run times. It's not something that can be done with water temperatures over 60°F or so. The algae would be insane, especially after the CYA was converted to ammonia.

This is basically irrelevant to OP's question unless an entire season of using trichlor for 50% of his chlorine needs will keep CYA below sane limits.

That's interesting!

So, does that mean I could drop my cya a bit over winter without an exchange?

I am colorblind as well. The only test that I cannot perform on my own is the calcium hardness test. For my eyes it's already blue from the start :LOL: Everything else is no problem though. Don't be scared off unless you know for certain that this particular test doesn't work for you. The CYA and chlorine test will work even for someone with black and white vision.

Same here! 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.