Can I go 24-48 hr without running our pump/filter?

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
I was unable to complete my filter cleaning today. The filthily filters are clean, but not put back inside until the massive amount of sand is flushed out container. Unfortunately, tomorrow I'm having a heart procedure and coming home late afternoon/ evening.
Thoughts?

FC: 8.5 yesterday
CYA: 50 9 days ago

Last edited:
Sure, as long as you have enough chlorine in the pool.

What is your FC and CYA level?

If you have some liquid chlorine you may want to pour it in and mix the water with your pool brush.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I was not able to complete cleaning our filter today. The 4 filters are clean, but have not been placed back inside because a ton of sand needs to be cleaned out. Unfortunately i have a medical procedure scheduled tomorrow and unsure how long I will be "out of it" to put the filter back together.

FC 8.5 (yesterday)
CYA 50 (9 days ago)

Thoughts?

48 hours is not that long. You could probably do nothing and be OK. Worst case scenario is that the pool will turn a little green which you can fix later. Your pool will be fine, one way or the other. Take care of yourself first.

That said...

What is the normal setting for your SWG for this time of year? We can calculate how much chlorine your pool needs, and then convert that to how much liquid chlorine your pool needs each day. If you have anyone that can help you, all they would have to do is buy some chlorine at a pool store and pour in the correct amount directly into your pool, maybe split it up into a half dozen spots around the edge, and then give your pool a quick brushing (five or ten minutes). That will mix in the chlorine well enough. Repeat each day until you are OK. Or double the daily dose and do that every other day. Not really much of a favor at all. And your pool will likely do just fine.

FIRST a huge thanks to AJT42, Wireform and Dirk for the quick replies, all were things I had not thought of at the time.

I did get up at the crack of dawn before I had to get to the hospital for my “procedure” and with the Shop Vac/ and hand scooping, got all out the sand out, cleaned the o-ring and the frig’ing ring clamp back on — does anybody get that done by themselves? Well, for the first time in seven years, after everything was clamped down, water was squirting from numerous ares around the 0-ring. No time for a second round. I had 2 hours to spare before heading off for my first cardioversion.

They got me In … zapped me… and out I was out and home by 4pm.

By the end of the day, with a second pair of hands the metal “clamp ring” was properly on and the pump was doing its thing. 24 hours of down time.

Answers to your questions:

AjW: my FC was 8.5 and CYA was 50. I always have some pool bleach around. And Brushing, It's the best agitator :)

wireform:
I Just did a 60% drain last week and had the pump still out. I had not thought of that your suggestion and it was a relief on a fluttering heart (pre-procedure humor there:)

As I was falling asleep I pondered what that might look like? Just put it in the deep in with no hose OR have a hose go up into the connected spa which would add some circulation there and add a waterfall as well. As you read above, ultimately that was not needed but would be good to hear your thoughts when/if you have time.

Also, all our friends have pool people, the concept of brushing is way beyond their skill level (welcome to retirement :)

DIRK!!:
A smile always runs across my face when I see you here. I wonder how many people remember the MA devise you pondered creating. That was from our early days on the form. Did you ever get a patent on that :)))?

Your sage advice to “Chill” was quite calming.

Again, to all of you – in a time of need you all were there.

Best,
York

• Love
Reactions: wireform and Dirk
Patent pending. Glad to hear you're OK and have figured out the pool well enough. Take care of yourself! Check back with status updates, for you and your pool, when you feel up to it. Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.