Can I close tomorrow with polyquat if FC is 14?

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
My pool closing is tomorrow and FC has only gone down to 14, which is 4 ppms above 1/2 shock with a CYA of 50. Water temperature isn’t below 60 yet and I have a mesh cover so I really wanted to use it. I was planning on adding it tonight. Will it still be effective if I add it or would I be better off closing without it? If I used it, should I add it at a higher dose than usual since some of it might get broken down by the chlorine? According to the label, the maximum dose for clean pools is 11 oz/10000 gallons but the maximum dose if you have visible algae is 16 oz/10000 gallons. I usually use the lower clean pool dose but I could add more if it would be more effective. I can also just skip it if it isn’t going to help since I know that it will lower my chlorine levels.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Add the PQ at the maximum dose with your FC level. See...

How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization?

Buckman Labs says that the Polyquat that is broken down is still effective as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down polyquat, but only turn it into shorter chain polymers that are still effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.