Can I change prime time on Hayward ProLogic and EcoStar pump?

VinceL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2012
Newton, NC
The default amount of time for a pump to operate at priming speed is 3 minutes (on the Ecostar pump and also, I assume, in the Prologic). My Ecostar pump never needs more than a little over a minute to prime. I would like to reduce the prime time from the default 3 minutes to 2 minutes. I have gone into the menu on the Ecostar pump and reduced the prime time to 2 minutes. After making this change (and checking to make sure the change was made), the pump is still priming for 3 minutes. I am assuming that this is because it is being controlled by the Prologic. I have not been able to find any way to adjust the prime time on the Prologic. Is it possible to adjust the pump prime time on the Prologic?

Several years ago I did reduce the pump's maximum speed so that it does not prime at full speed. That adjustment required reprogramming the pump and the Prologic. That's why I figure the Prologic is controlling the priming time.

My ProLogic instruction manual states that both two-speed and variable speed pumps will prime at high for 3 minutes if they have been off for more than 30 seconds. There is no discussion of being able to modify the speed or length of time, at least in the section I read, which was in the early section of the manual.

Yup, that was all I could find in the Prologic Manual. Given that I have successfully reduced the pump speed that is used for priming, I am hoping that someone knows a "hack" or "backdoor" way to get into the Prologic software configuration to change the time for priming. It would be poor computer programming to hardcode a 3 minute time limit into the software.

I have created a support ticket with Hayward support. Maybe they can offer some help.

Pool software, at least this far, has been quite simplistic in many regards. Hopefully you can find a workaround.

I can put this issue to bed.

The first response I received from Hayward Support gave me a link to the ProLogic Operators Manual and pointed out that the manual indicated there was a 3 minute prime period.

I replied telling him that I had read the ProLogic more times than I can count and that I was looking for an answer that perhaps wasn't in the manual. I guess he had never heard of the phrase "undocumented feature."

I received a reply from another support person who confirmed that the 3 minutes for priming was built in to the software and could not be overridden.

I have looked at possibly upgrading to OmniLogic. But, based on the all problems I have read about, it sounds like Hayward may have rushed it to market too soon. I think I will let the software mature a bit more before considering it. I have no idea if I could change the pump priming time with OmniLogic. I have read that I would have to spend $300 to upgrade my pump to work with OmniLogic.

I'll stay with the ProLogic system for the foreseeable future.

Pool software, at least this far, has been quite simplistic in many regards. Hopefully you can find a workaround.
The Pentair pump & automation combo does a little better - if you know where to look. See my recent post here:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.