Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi,
I live in the northeast and have a rather late pool inground vinyl build. Concrete collar about to be poured this week. Is there a way I can wait on putting water in? At what point should I stop the project? Can the vermiculite floor be left exposed to freezing temperature?

I would really like to just throw the liner on next year and fill with water then instead of filling it this year.

Thank you all.

That is a hard one. Why do you want to wait until next year? I worry about your vermiculite floor to most but the side could collapse as well as the weight/pressure of the water keeps everything in place.

That is a hard one. Why do you want to wait until next year? I worry about your vermiculite floor to most but the side could collapse as well as the weight/pressure of the water keeps everything in place.
Hmm... I guess I am just worried about the weather. We won't have many good days left above 50. Also would avoid introducing water into the pipes and having to close the pool. Water would also have to be balanced chemically if I did.

Obviously this is more of an inconvenience than it is a necessity. If there is a risk for structure damage at all then I will just work to get it filled.

You take the risk of a wall caving in. The pressure of the water in the pool helps support the walls.

You take the risk of a wall caving in. The pressure of the water in the pool helps support the walls.
Got it. Makes sense. Ok will keep at it and get this thing filled.
What are your thoughts on plugging returns and not filling up to skimmers keeping the pipes empty? Do I need to chemically balance the water?

Is this an Pool Builder build or an owner build?

One thing you can do is build a "tent" over the pool and use heaters to warm everything up and put in the liner. Put water in the pool with the returns and skimmer blocked off so there are no water in the lines. I would test your fill water for the pH and TA levels to see if they need to be adjusted for your liner.

What are your thoughts on plugging returns and not filling up to skimmers keeping the pipes empty?

That should be ok.

Do I need to chemically balance the water?

Not really if it has acceptable chemistry.

Do you have a TF-100 or K-2006C test kit?

What is the pH, TA and CH of the fill water you will use?

Take the fill water to a pool store and have them test for metals.

You don;t want low pH water which can wrinkle a liner or water with metals that can stain the liner.

That should be ok.

Not really if it has acceptable chemistry.

Do you have a TF-100 or K-2006C test kit?

What is the pH, TA and CH of the fill water you will use?

Take the fill water to a pool store and have them test for metals.

You don;t want low pH water which can wrinkle a liner or water with metals that can stain the liner.
The water would be water the water delivery company delivers. I guess I could inquire further on this but I would assume it's just tap water? Not sure...

The water would be water the water delivery company delivers. I guess I could inquire further on this but I would assume it's just tap water? Not sure...

Water trucked in can come from a variety of sources. I would inquire as to the water source and if you can get the water chemistry or a sample.

If I were you I'd put the liner in, then fill up to just below the returns. Then you can close the pool with a cover and won't have to worry about any other winterizing of your pipes. In the spring you'll just have to cut out for the returns and skimmer.

You really don't want to leave the vermiculite exposed over the winter. I had mine exposed just for a month or so over the summer and those temp changes were enough to cause cracking. Over winter I'd worry the ground shifting from freeze/thaw would really mess it up. Plus you'd run the risk of a wall collapsing since you don't have any water pushing outwards against them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plug the returns and skimmers though. Water levels will rise from rain and snow
Not sure I'd plug them. I'm afraid they would poke through the liner from the downward pressure. I think I'd be inclined to simply not cut the liner out and let the liner hold the seal unless you can find some sort of flush plug that will not deform or rip the liner as it is pulled downward during filling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.