Can I add SWG ??????

beez74

Oct 15, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Pool is finally done and up and running......we initially went with the normal chlorine pool and have since decided (to late) we want to switch to salt water ( wife just told me any chlorine makes her hair green :rolleyes: coulda said that sooner).... Was quoted $2400.00 from the pool builder and that is just crazy considering I see that ordering the parts and doing it myself would cost half that. My question is knowing I would have to rearrange some things if I attempt it myself where the heck would it go??? they made my plumbing pretty compact and left me no room from what I can see. give me some ideas please. Been super busy between work and this yard but I'll update my profile with pool details soon

IMG_2732.jpgIMG_2737.jpg

My question is knowing I would have to rearrange some things if I attempt it myself where the heck would it go???
My guess is on that pool return line going down. But say, here's the more important question … you say your wife says "chlorine makes her hair green? She's blonde correct? Well, the SWG isn't going to help that. Hair turning green is typically a reaction of chlorine interacting with copper in the water which can effect hair, nails, and cause pool staining. Whether chlorine is manually added (aka regular bleach) or produced by a SWG via salt conversion, it's still chlorine. If your pool (manual or SWG) is managed properly via TFP recommended levels (link below) and you refrain from adding any pool store products that contain copper (i.e. algaecides) you shouldn't have that problem.

My guess is on that pool return line going down. But say, here's the more important question … you say your wife says "chlorine makes her hair green? She's blonde correct? Well, the SWG isn't going to help that. Hair turning green is typically a reaction of chlorine interacting with copper in the water which can effect hair, nails, and cause pool staining. Whether chlorine is manually added (aka regular bleach) or produced by a SWG via salt conversion, it's still chlorine. If your pool (manual or SWG) is managed properly via TFP recommended levels (link below) and you refrain from adding any pool store products that contain copper (i.e. algaecides) you shouldn't have that problem.

See I wondered about the green hair ....She might just be wearing a swim cap lol. Ok so you are thinking the pool return?? my question to that is and I'm new to all of this, that valve to the pool return I believe is closed most of the time because of the In-Floor system ?? in the pic its closed and thats how its been since it was all turned on during start-up

that valve to the pool return I believe is closed most of the time because of the In-Floor system ?? in the pic its closed and thats how its been since it was all turned on during start-up
Now I see that - correct. Then I suppose it would have to go to the other pipe (in-floor). I'm sure some other eyes will see this thread to advise if there are any other options we're missing.

I can't tell what kind of pump you have, but if it's not a single speed pump, you would want to alternate between in-floor (high speed) and regular wall returns (lower speed). In that case, ideally the SWG would be before the valve that selects between those 2 returns. Doesn't look like there is room, but if you could create some kind of offshoot to put it before that valve, it gives you the most flexibility to chlorinate in either mode, now or in the future.

Dodger is right about the placement...for most flexibility and probably the easiest, I would put the chlorinator between your filter output and your aerator (I’m not positive it is labeled the aerator...the 1st junction after the filter output). This requires a movement of the filter (either turned&moved or possibly a pad expansion for filter movement) and and a reroute of your pump to filter connection.

Also dodger asked about your pump...for those with In-Floor-Cleaning-Systems (IFCS), an automation of selection between popups and wall returns is almost a requirement for energy savings...in addition, a selection between drain (while popup cleaning) and skimmer (when not cleaning) makes the cleaning system work much better and more energy efficient as well. Your Venturi skimmer is very interesting (dodger...a bypass, haha). Do you have two skimmers?

I wish I had your system but mine was designed many years ago.

No we just have the one skimmer installed. Moving the filter is a really good idea, I was sitting thinking of ways to reroute plumbing but not mess anything up since its all new and yea it seems like moving the filter would be a 2 cut job and the neatest way

What size pool?

What SWG model are you thinking of?

hi,
plumbing into the pool return line or the line from pump to cartridge filter may be my option but i am having trouble visualising the flow path
as mentioned chlorine does not turn hair green
dodgy pool store potions containing copper cause that
avoid products with the word blue in their name
or stick to TFP pool care and never have to worry again

No we just have the one skimmer installed. Moving the filter is a really good idea, I was sitting thinking of ways to reroute plumbing but not mess anything up since its all new and yea it seems like moving the filter would be a 2 cut job and the neatest way

My system is similar to yours and I have considered adding a chlorinator...what’s stopped me is that I like to drain my pool into my grass and I am worried about salt buildup over time, in addition to the debate on salt’s impact on travertine decking. Anyway, moving my filter would have been the solution for me.

Beez...with your system I would also consider a FlowVis for gpm measurements...it’s come in handy for me. With your pipe situation, it might be the only chance you have to get one installed cleanly (between chlorinator and filter output OR between pump and filter input).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My system is similar to yours and I have considered adding a chlorinator...what’s stopped me is that I like to drain my pool into my grass and I am worried about salt buildup over time, in addition to the debate on salt’s impact on travertine decking. Anyway, moving my filter would have been the solution for me.

Beez...with your system I would also consider a FlowVis for gpm measurements...it’s come in handy for me. With your pipe situation, it might be the only chance you have to get one installed cleanly (between chlorinator and filter output OR between pump and filter input).

I dont know much about the system so all of this is new to me....I'm guessing the Flowvis would track water movement which would help me create a better schedule for running my pump???

I'm not sure on my measurements (at work) but I know 13,500 gallons free form,hayward VS pump A&A In-floor system and Ecommnad4....was looking at adding the Aqua rite SWG

We recommend you get a cell with capacity at least 2X your pool volume. Get at least a T-9 cell for a 25K gallon pool.

I believe a T-15 cell would be in your best interest. The cell will generate more chlorine over its lifespan compared to a T-9 cell and you will need less pump run time during the summer months to generate enough chlorine with the T-15 compared to the T-9.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.