Long Island ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I had a pool installed in the fall, inground never covered. Can my pb come and clean the pool and get it running? They are telling me New York State has said they can not open pools but my mason is telling me they can because it was never covered. Anyone have a correct answer so I can tell the pb the right info if he is wrong.

Is there a chance the PB is saying this because of COVD restrictions? I believe many pool companies around the country are limited to what they can do (if anything) right now based on their state's classification of "essential" work activities. The masonry industry for NY may be classified differently during the COVID period.

Honestly at this point there is just a whole lot of confusion out there. Especially coupled with the fact that each state, as well as some counties and cities have their own separate rules. A lot of it is up to personal interpretation of the individuals who run the companies. Unfortunately if your PB had decided that he’s going to shut down then I don’t think you’ll be able to convince him otherwise.

I’m sure he would much rather be out there making money than sitting at home doing nothing, but he feels that either for his own personal safety, or because of his interpretation of the rules that he needs to shut down his business.

Now that said, what is the state of your pool? Perhaps you can get the PB to let you know what needs to be done to open the pool. I’m sure that the folks here would be happy to help walk you through the process as well.

I think the PB will do what he is comfortable for his business and health regardless of what you tell him.

Reactions: Leebo and Donldson
I am in Nassau county New York. My pool is a huge mess. Tons of sand and dirt. It definitely needs a power vacuuming and all I have is a brand new dolphin robot. Water is starting to turn green. The pb didn’t seem like he didn’t want to do it but was more like the state won’t let him do it and my mason said they could do it because the pool was never covered. So I’m just looking for clarity if anyone knew the exact information on this.

Given the lucrative nature of opening and clearing a pool like that, I don't think your PB is turning down business based on rumors. He knows exactly what the laws say about his business, and your mason's explanation doesn't make a lick of sense.

Bottom line is if he says he cannot do it then the isn't doing it. Going to him with "well the people on the internet told me" is not going to change that.

Reactions: Shirker
Same situation. We were scheduled to open this week. My PB told me they acquired the waiver to be 'open', but he is reserving that for emergency things and finishing time sensitive jobs on current bids. I applaud his decision regarding this. But still sad because I want my pool OPEN. LOL! Soooo. We are going to try opening it ourselves :D

You are your best advocate. Do you have a saltwater chlorine generator or using liquid chlorine, tablets? If it was me, I would open myself. For sure I would at least get some chlorine into it post haste and mix it with the leaf rake.

I have a swcg but again I have no clue what I am doing. And needs a vacuuming big time. So don’t know if it’s worth opening myself and running with all the dirt and sand in the bottom, water beginning to look cloudy and gross

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a swcg but again I have no clue what I am doing. And needs a vacuuming big time. So don’t know if it’s worth opening myself and running with all the dirt and sand in the bottom, water beginning to look cloudy and gross

If you decide to open I am confident we can guide you to the right choices. If it wasn't covered you really just need to put all the plugs in which should be in the pump basket, set your valves properly (post a pic of your pad) and turn everything on. Clean it best you can first - don't you have a leaf rake? Start cleaning everything that is large with the leaf rake and I would throw that robot in as well and get it doing its thing. Do you have access to liquid chlorine?

I have been using my skimmer to get some of the bigger things out of the pool, concrete from mason, but steps and swim out have lots of sand and dirt, I don’t have liquid chlorine but could call some pool supply stores and start shopping around. I am sure you all would be a huge help as I have been reading articles and posts on here for almost 7 months and see all the advice you give I’ll post back when I talk to pb again and see where he is sitting with coming to house, I will also make sure I have all supplies and equipment I need to get it all fired up

I have been using my skimmer to get some of the bigger things out of the pool, concrete from mason, but steps and swim out have lots of sand and dirt, I don’t have liquid chlorine but could call some pool supply stores and start shopping around. I am sure you all would be a huge help as I have been reading articles and posts on here for almost 7 months and see all the advice you give I’ll post back when I talk to pb again and see where he is sitting with coming to house, I will also make sure I have all supplies and equipment I need to get it all fired up

Just because I am confused - your pool was 100% completed by your builder, right? Just wondering why you have construction material in the pool still.

Pool was 100% completed but they never cleaned it as I used a separate mason so they said they would clean it in the spring when we open the pool and mason is done. So mason finished a couple of weeks ago and when I called for opening date they gave me April 13th but now with all this going on they are saying they can’t come so I don’t want to wait too long

I just happened to be looking for LC myself as we are likely opening on our own. Home Depot has this. I typed in your location and it looks like a bunch of stores close to you have stock. I want to order online for pickup with this pandemic, but also want to check the julian date. UGH.

1586296083945.png

I just happened to be looking for LC myself as we are likely opening on our own. Home Depot has this. I typed in your location and it looks like a bunch of stores close to you have stock. I want to order online for pickup with this pandemic, but also want to check the julian date. UGH.

Given the fact that people are having a hard time finding chlorine I suspect that stock is moving pretty fast and you probably don’t have to worry too much about the date. Worst case, Home Depot is pretty good about returns and such, so what I would do is order for curbside pickup and check the date when you get there. On the off chance they try to give you something that’s like a year old then just tell them that you want to go back and try to find something newer. If they have nothing new then I’m sure they would let you cancel the order or accept the order and then just return it right then. But really I don’t think it will come to that. Like I said, it seems like it’s moving pretty quickly right now, so my guess would be that all their stock is pretty fresh.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.