Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

My used/garage sale cell is going out on me, and I have already had to solder on the board of the controller. Three years of chlorine for practically free, not bad. I have therefore convinced myself to get a new SWG system. And while I am at it, go ahead and spend a couple extra hundred to upgrade my WPC2 control system to the Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-ICX0.

Question is: I have an 11k pool, so I realize I (at least) need one rated for 20k, but for only $150 I can get the IC40. Is that overkill or a waste of $150? I realize I can run it at a lower percentage output for less time, but just want someone to give me the warm and fuzzy that it makes sense to spend the extra money.

Want it to last at least twice as long under ideal conditions? If it's producing chlorine for half the time of the smaller model, yet the life expectancy in hours is the same, then you will basically be buying a 2nd model for that $150. AND you don't have to swap them out at the proverbial halfway mark when the IC20 would be spent.

At the same time, being almost 4X oversized the equipment would probably just fail before it reached its regular end if life.

Reactions: Analogbytes
Bytes,

I live in Bedford, and have a 17K pool and have the IC40... When using an EasyTouch, the new cells lets you adjust in 1% increments, so I say get the IC40.

You really can't go too big, unless you buy a cell that only has 25% increments.. This would mean you might have to adjust your pump run time so that you don't generate too much chlorine.

With the EasyTouch, you will not have that problem..

I suggest that you get ScreenLogic as it makes using and programming the EasyTouch so simple that even I can do it.. :mrgreen:

Here are a couple of ScreenLogic pics..

View media item 1963

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for your responses. @Jimrahbe, ScreenLogic looks cool, and I understand the ease of programming, however, my pool is just a pool with a SWG which will be on the Filter relay and 2 lights so I dont think the programming will be too difficult. And I dont care about the wireless control, as I have no real control needs, but I dont see an option just to hook a cable up to my iphone/ipad/laptop for programming, maybe I am just missing it? I just don't know if $400 is worth it.

But question I would love answered: with the EasyTouch alone, do I have fine grained (1% increments) over the SWG output, or only if I have ScreenLogic?

:edit: yes I do have control issues, hints TFP, but, well... no I do have control issues

Bytes,

No doubt you do not "need" ScreenLogic, it is just makes having the EasyTouch easier to use.. It is something that can be added later, if you change your mind.

If you have an EasyTouch, you will have 1% increment control over your SWCG, whether you have ScreenLogic or not..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.