Came home from vacation to a mess

Jun 5, 2016
Murphy, TX
We were out of town for two weeks - I'll skip the details but we came back to the water level being about 8 inches low and the water looking like pond scum. I filled it back up so that the pump could run, but it wouldn't prime. That's when I noticed that I had a busted PVC pipe right where it comes out of the ground (we had a kid mow while we were gone, so I assume he hit it with the mower). I fixed the pipe and started the pump running early yesterday. We have a nearly 30k gallon salt pool, which I normally shock with Chlor-brite, so I put 4 lbs of that in it and kept it running over night with regular brushings. Last night I was getting a fairly high chlorine reading, but just now when I checked it it is reading nearly zero. Just a faint hint of a yellow hue. It was running in super-chlorinate mode, so it should have been generating more chlorine as it ran. The pool is much clearer, just a little opaque but I can at least see the bottom now. Just trying to get it to fully clear up so I can use it. What would cause the chlorine level to drop so much in a day after putting that much in? Should I add more to finish the job?
TIA

The algae is consuming the chlorine.

You should be following the SLAM Process using liquid chlorine and maintaining the SLAM FC level which is based on your CYA level.

What test kit do you use?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.